• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob needs network help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odin8yoshi

Hello everyone, im trying to setup a network between my new computer and the old one for playing counter strike and other games, and also for internet connectin sharing. I want to connect them directly to each other with 1 ethernet cable, they both have NIC's installed and have the latest drivers installed and are working corectly, i have the crossover cable plugged in and both computes are setup with NetBEUI as well as TCP/IP binded to the NIC, client for microsoft networks is installed, as well as file and printer sharing, they both have fully shared folder, they're on the same workgroup. Why cant i access the other computers shared files through network neighborhood?

P.S The new computer has windows 98 SE installed, and the other has windows ME.

Make sure your crossover cable is wired correctly. Also, if you plan to share internet and each machine has one NIC connected directly to the other, how is that going to work? Using dialup or USB?

What do you mean make sure the crossover cable is wired correctly? I plan to share my dial up connection. I tried to ping the other computer and it just timed out every time.

you need to use a crossover cat5 cable to connect them directly to each other. If you were using a hub, switch, or router you could use regular cat5.

Oh man, i feel so stupid now. Ive known that i need cat5 crossover cable to conenct them, and i thought thats what i had...but i just read the writing on the cable and its a patch cable not crossover :mad: :(. Can i use windows 'direct cable connection' to play games over LAN? The ones i plan on playing are quake 3 arena, counter strike, and team fortress classic, mabey some emulated games.

P.S Thanks everyone for the quick responses, when i get the right cable i'll know just what to do.

'direct cable connection = the suck

how far do you need to go

i would do it 1 of 2 ways

if it was near i would just go to homedepot or compusa and get a 10 foot ish cross over

if it is far or hard to re run

i would cut off one of the ends and get one of thouse female terminators make it a cross over and then get a small 1 foot patch cord and put that in the newly created femail connection

For the cost of buying a crossover cable from any of the major chains( $25) you could buy a router and imho , that would be the easy route to go. Now if you already have connectors and a crimping tool you can make your own crossover cable for about $1.

Back