• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800 vdimm mod Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rashio_UK

hi,
i am thinking about doing the vdimm mod to my asus p4c800, now i have read the guide and there is 1 thing i need to know?
once i have done the mod do i set the variable resistor to the max resistanse i.e. 50k?
if that is right do i leave the vr there and adjust the vdimm in the bios or do i actually have to physically have to change the vdimm using the vr?

thanks

oh yeah what is ocz 3700 2x256mb like with extra volts?
does it like it or crap?

Last edited:
you start with it at max. Hook a lead to the reference point and attach the dmm to that lead and a ground anywhere on the case. Boot up into the bios. At this point the voltage on the dmm should match that in the bios. Start turning the pot and the reading on the dmm will begin to increase. When you have added as much as you wanted(.2, .25, etc.)your bios will say 2.55 and the dmm will read 2.75(you've then added .2). At this point change the bios setting to 2.75 and reboot into the bios. The dmm should say 2.95(2.75 bios + .2). That confirms the amount of increase and you are done.

GD

the ocz likes the volts just like all the bh-5(assuming it is bh-5;) ) does.

just wondering but why do i have to start off with my vdimm set to 2.55 in the bios?
would it not be easier having it on full i.e. 2.85 and then just increasing the voltage with the vr?

just wondering why the guide says to do that?

You are right. Set it to 2.85 in the bios. Boot up and adjust your pot to the point that gives you the highest measured vdimm you want to run. For example, I boot up at 2.85 and then adjust the pot to give me 3.0v on my multimeter. It's as simple as that. Now, something I found is under load, memtest86, my voltage would drop, which made me adjust my 3.3v line so that load and idle were both 3.2v. I didn't have to adjust my 3.3 line while using 3.0vdimm, but needed 3.4 on my 3.3 to get a load of 3.2vdimm.

2.55 doesn't work in the asus bios. 2.65, 2.75 and 2.85 are the only working vdimms. If you adjust with bios at 2.85 you'll notice that changing the setting in the bios to 2.75 will take 3.0volts down to 2.9 and 2.65 in bios will yield around 2.8.

If, on the off chance the pot is installed backwards(mine was:rolleyes:* ) there is less chance of frying your ram at post. Also you only want to add as much voltage as needed. Why start at 3.25 if you only need 3.05? As always when ocing start low and work up.

*My pot was set in the middle.

Back