• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you overclock a built by ati 9800 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont think there is a "built in 9800" i assume you bought a comptuer and it came with it. If you are truley lacking techincal skills with comptuers (i assume you are) then i dont recommend overclocking just yet. Its easy to ruin your card and it just isnt worht it. Get some better cooling for it, check the temps and post those. As again you dont want to fry it. Even if you dont have good case cooling/full of dust its easy to fry the card.

i just might buy a built by ati from bestbuy, because i dont know if they will give me store credit for my 9600xt or hopefully give me cash back. if i get cash back i will be looking for a 9800 pro, that can be overclocked. thanks, and is there any specific brand to get, like sapphire or powercolor?

I have a built-by-ATI Radeon 9800 pro which I got from Best Buy and I overclocked it really easily. Watched my 3dmark03 score go up 300 points in 10 minutes.

can you overclock a built by ati 9800 pro? thanks for any help.

Rage3d Tweak is what I use for overclocking. There are many others such as Radclocker which is pretty good. You can download Rage3d Tweak from here

before you go to BestBuy, Microcenter is having a sale for the 9800 pro for $238.00, if you live close by go there or go to their online store and save big time...!!!!!!!!!!!

the built by ATI 9800 pro is a pretty good overclocker. I've got mine running at 439 core and 367 memory, thats faster than the 9800XT. I am also using the VGA Silencer and copper ramsinks, but on stock cooling, I could run at 424/358 which is still up there with the XT, so anyways, you should be able to overclock it pretty well. Have fun and be safe with your new hardware :D

mata2974 said:
before you go to BestBuy, Microcenter is having a sale for the 9800 pro for $238.00, if you live close by go there or go to their online store and save big time...!!!!!!!!!!!

Just picked up the last one at my local Bestbuy with a pricematch plus I had a gift card. They called Microcenter even though the B&M was oos; so don't let that stop any of you . By the way microcenter would not rain check. I took a BFG 5900 np back to Frys today after I read all the reviews I could find about ATI and Nvidia. Cicuit City has a 110% pm but all of my local stores were out with no promise of anymore coming in.

This is my first ATI card :cool:

Last edited:
Overclocks nicely. So far I can run the card without artifacts at 461/371 or in Nvidia lingo 461/742. I do have a sidedoor mounted and fairly quiet 120MM fan blowing over the card though.
Update: 475/742 with no artifacts stock cooler no sinks.

Last edited:
Back