• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help On Memory & Their Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CZmanz19

I am a Newbie to messing with the memory timings and memory itself. I have a stick of 256 OCZ PC3200 and Two Sticks of 256mb OCZ PC2700. My system that i will be running this with is an Asus P4C800-E deluxe and a P4 2.4a. Currently i have the PC2700 in and the processor is running at 2.8 First of all i was wonder which memory you guys would think would give me the best performance because i could use the PC2700 in dual channel. Also, once i figure out which stick or sticks of memory i am using i was wonder if i should leave the timings at stock or if changing them would give me a noticable performance boost. Any help would be great thanks.

First off, I would test to see how high your PC-2700 will go (overclock/FSB wise w/ 1:1 FSB:MEM ratio) individually. Loosen the timings manually (set CAS Latency to 3.0, tRCD RAS-to-CAS Delay to 4, tRP RAS Precharge to 4, and tRAS to 8) then increase FSB (using 1:1 FSB:MEM ratio) from 166 in small increments of say 5MHz and see how it goes. Then take out the single stick and replace it with the other and repeat. (If you want, you may also want to test each stick in each differant DIMM slot - as performance may vary from DIMM slot to DIMM slot)

Once you know this, report back any findings and I can help you further :) (you may want to also try this with your single stick of PC-3200).

This is all to get an idea of the capabilities of your memory. Before you go out and buy anything or mess with other settings.

Back