• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Additional USB risers on Abit ST6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicco

Registered
Hello, I recently got the abit ST6 and it works real well and alot better than my older abit SE6 and for the most part I'm really happy with it.

Problem is is that I use alot of devices which need to use an open USB slot and as it's always been a pain to have to switch the cables back and forth on my old motherboard with only two usb ports I was glad to see that on the st6 they included a USB riser card with two usb ports that can plug into the motherboard near the bottom of it.

Thing is is that I can't get these extra usb ports to work at all. I have plugged it into the right pins and everything and searched through the BIOs to see if there is a setting that i need to change to enable these extra ports but nothing I do seems to get them to work.

If anyone has any idea what might need to be changed please give me a few suggestions.

-nicco

Well, I had a conflict with the USB on my ST6, and I can't remember what I had to do to get them working...I think I changed the USB Keyboard/Mouse support BIOS setting from OS to BIOS, or vise versa...

Are the ports recognized in Windows Device Manager???

No, the ports aren't recongised at all in windows. Nothing shows up but if I have it plugged in the other way it won't even boot up. I'll have to try the usb mouse/support from Os to BIOs then. thanks!

There is another BIOS option, "Assign IRQ for USB" or something like that, try setting that to DISABLED instead of the default ENABLED and see if that frees up the extra header. This doesn't affect the USB function in any way.

nicco said:
No, the ports aren't recongised at all in windows. Nothing shows up but if I have it plugged in the other way it won't even boot up. I'll have to try the usb mouse/support from Os to BIOs then. thanks!

The other thing to try is remove any add in cards like sound cards and stuff...I've had IRQ conflicts take out the USB on that board before as well...If that fixes it, just try moving the card to a differant PCI slot...

Make sure to disable any onboard stuff your not using like RAID, sound, and serial/parallel ports....this will free up IRQ's...

Back