• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't beleive it, but I shall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itizme

Just installed a Sunbeam Tech duct on my cpu.
Original temps 32C idle, 42C fragging for an hour
New temps 29C idle, 36C fragging an hour - Q3
Monitoring by X-PIDER TM2000

Kit used:
1 sunbeam tech OCK-S

Reason for installation:
Those friggin XASER P4 fans are LOUD when they spool up

Please note:
I did not use a fan on the inlet of the duct. Instead I trimmed the fitting that would attatch to a fan so that it was flush to my back panel and then installed the filter cover/grill that came with the kit on the outside. I did expect that the cpu fan could handle the new configuration and I see it certainly does.

I have to hand it to Sunbeam Tech. I know my local shop gave me some sort of deal at $20 canadian but man this thing is worth its weight in gold for us air coolers.
http://www.sunbeamtech.com/new/products/cooling/cooling series-overclockers cooler kit.htm

Good results. What was the airflow like in your case before you installed that duct?

I want to make a duct that looks cool. I really don't like the look of those dryer vent type ducts. I have been keeping my eyes open for something that would work well for the tubing.

The vent I used for the intake was the vent I was using to balance the pressure in my case. right now I have 4 80mm intake fans, the cpu set is intake as well.
For exhaust I have just the power supply so I must be reasonably high in back pressure but it just seems to work well.
For the money the kit is well worth it. You need flanges to attatch your tubing thats for sure.
So far as the "dryer duct" goes a nice install makes it look rather nice. The duct is rather shiney and quite reflective but certainly does not look cheap. It looks more along the lines of aero space as opposed to laundry room.

:beer:

itizme said:
It looks more along the lines of aero space as opposed to laundry room.

:beer:

Lol. Do you have a pic so we can see what it looks like installed?

Here's a link to his pic. He doesn't have a host.

Clicky (Try that. Click on the folder "itizme's Pic" then click on the pic. If that doesn't work, I give up.:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
also, another thing you can do, is make your case have negative pressure.

/me puts on a flame proof suit

if you set every other fan on your rig to exahust and tape off any holes where air might get it, then the cpu duct is the only place all those exaust fans are gonna draw air from. it will significantlydrop the static pressure your cpu fan is fighting agianst, and that will give you a good deal more airflow over your heatsink.

just if you do this tape off all holes and cracks for air to leak in from. i did this with antec's cheiftech knockoff, and it worked great. i ran the duct to the front 80mm intake (with the metal grill cut off), and pulled off the front panel and taped off the other front 80mm fan hole, and any other area that air could come in at. that also included taping off the edges of my optical dirves and drive bay covers. i then had 2 80mm exaust fans on the rear, a 92mm exaust on the sidepanel, and a 120mm exaust on the top. im not gonan count the powersupply as an exauhst, because with all the negative pressure air was getting drawn back IN from its fan :rolleyes: .

my antec truepower turns the fans so slow they were fighting the direction of airflow, but it was no biggie, the ps was still getting cooled and the cpu was getting cold air from elsewhere, so any hot air that got shoved into the case from the ps just went right back out the top 120mm fan.

Links up, nice window job your doing!!!, man thats huge.
This is too friggin funny, Your blue case, I had one of them for my last pc, nice cases enermax makes for a nice low price. On mine I had to wire the leds on the switches as they were not wired.
Ohh, and the lil truck. I have been involved in r/c for maybe fifteen years. Everything from cars to boats, planes to heli's. Part owner of a local r/c flying club here too. Local canadian organization is MAAC, but I am a true IMAA kind of guy.
By the way, my vent is over the same fan setup you have ZachM

Back