• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the ordinary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

This is as the subjest stated not an ordinary question/request.
I have a watercooling setup and i have a home-built Res. just like anyother Res. it has potential to leak after a while. I liek to keep my system running the whole time i am at college in FL i live in CT. I fold for team 32 w/ it. I would like to know if there is a way to set something up to monitor my water level in my Res.
Through remote desktop, or whatever is fine, i know i would need some kind of hardware, and software to go w/it.
I could set MBM 5 to shut down at certain high temps, but in mu opinon that is a last resort.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks, ROB:D

Last edited:
You could have some kid of a relay built into a bobbeer type deal, like is in the back of a toilet.......

Could have the bobber have a peice of wire on the end, and when it drops down it would pull the wire away from connecting two other wires on each side that would open the circuit........But, I'm just kinda throwing stuff out there.

Well, I'd guess that the computer has unattended web access (not like mom is signing on to upload work units), so I guess the easiest way might be to install a sight glass of some sort and maybe an LED to backlight the level, and use a web cam.
For the level sight, use two elbow hose barbs and a section of clear tubing with a water level mark (ala sharpie) that would be plain to see.
It would still require a phone call home for assistence though.
There's guides out there to tell you how to setup a webcam, and I suspect it's easier than writing software and such.

Really though, if your res is that much of a worry, and your computer runs that long unattended, I'd look into either building a more reliable reservior, or substituting for a t-line while you're gone. Remote monitoring is a bandaid solution to an underlying problem, if it's that close to leaking.

*edit* you could also engineer a float switch like sandman suggested, just interupt your "power good" wire from the psu to the mobo (grey wire I believe, but don't quote me, look it up) with the switch. Then when the float switched off, so too would the psu.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get a decent $20 heatsink, maybe clock a little lower than you are now, and not have to worry about a thing. :)

Back