• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2800+ XP Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adam_2002

Registered
I got an AMD 2800+ XP Barton with a Asus A7N8X-X and a K7 Volcano 11+ laser edition and i was wondering if theres anyway i can overclock it ive heard something about its locked or something so is there an easy way for a user new to ocing to unlock it and overclock it??

2800 locked? I don't think so, but I could be wrong, and even if, it'd just be the multiplier, but I'm pretty sure they're completely unlocked.

Go in to BIOS and raise the FSB. download Motherboard Monitor 5 and monitor your temps.

when i do change it the pc wont boot up and changes the speed back down

I don't know why Tom is questioning you... all AMD CPUs are coming locked now except the FXs.

Fleck, right all the NEW AMD chips come locked, but it depends on what week of chip he got, as 2800+ weren't selling as much as 2500+s there still can be lots of stock of older chips which were unlocked.
Adam, try to set your multiplier to x12 or x11 and see what happens. If it boots at the same speed of a 2800+ then it is locked, if it doesn't boot at all its probably locked as well. but if it boots as 2700/2600+ then its still unlocked.

And if you could post what were the exact writings on the black label of the chip, that would be most helpfull.

Adam, I also have a locked 2800 XP Barton but have it overclocked at 2.4 ghz so far. You will not be able to change the multiplier but you can change the Front Side Bus. You might also have to increase the vcore to be stable..mine is at 1.8. Watch your temps... also, your memory has to be able to handle the increased fsb too.

okay my memory is 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM) and the FSB settings are 100,133,150,166,200 and right now its set on 166. I tried lower the multiplier to x12 or x11 and the system would not boot so im guessing its locked for sure. now i tried rasing the FSB to 200 but the system would not boot then tried increasing the vcore to v1.8 and still nothing so wondering what to do to get more speed

Adam_2002 said:
okay my memory is 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM) and the FSB settings are 100,133,150,166,200 and right now its set on 166. I tried lower the multiplier to x12 or x11 and the system would not boot so im guessing its locked for sure. now i tried rasing the FSB to 200 but the system would not boot then tried increasing the vcore to v1.8 and still nothing so wondering what to do to get more speed

There should be an "expert" setting for the FSB control which will allow you to select FSB's in 1 MHz increments... I don't know 100% but most every Good mobo made in the last year and a half have had this feature.

okay i got te fsb changed and its running faster now got a few other questions, is there a program that will tell me what my temp is and is there away to turn down the fsb in windows so i can turn my fan down at night ?

okay few more things lol what temp should it not go higher then and also Mr. Fancypants what do you have ur FSB at, i cant seem to get it any higher then 185 otherwise it does the same as if i changed the multiplyer

Adam, my FSB is at 192 right now. Also, the cpu is stable in Prime95 with a vcore voltage of 1.8. How much is your vcore?

Im not sure but your memory might be holding you back since you are running the memory at overclocked speed.

Are you running the memory frequency at 100% or is it on AUTO?

As for temps, I think most people like it below 40C but mine gets up to 49C at max load.

I tried using Motherboard Monitor and it reads my temp @ 64C but if i restart my computer and go into bios it says my temp is around 45-49C but gets up in the 50's also ive tried using auto and 100% but no luck passing 185 and running the Vcore at 1.80V, im thinking about getting some new ram if thats why i can get it higher and im wondering what type will be the best to buy for the cheapest price thanks

and i want to add another fan in the case should the fan be sucking in air or blowing it out?

Last edited:
Have you tried ASUS Probe to read your temps? YOu can download it right off Asus website.

Im not really sure about the memory, you have to check the memory part of the forum. Kingston HyperX, OCZ, Corsair XMS, Mushkin Level II all make good memory but can get expensive because of faster timings.

You should have one fan sucking in air if you can AND also some blowing out. Unfortunately I do not have a case with a hole in the front so I have no intake fan (yet...). I do however have a side fan, two rear exhaust and one exhausting out the top, plus the power supply fan. I also have a Zalman fan with bracket blowing on top of my memory and motherboard

Back