• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJG

i just setup a raid with 2x 80gb seagate 7200rpm 8mb cache ata 100.. i tested the setup against my old setup 60gb ata 100.. according to sandra the old hd is faster.. according to FreshDiagnose the new setup in just a little bit faster.. ( less then .2 on the write and about 5 mb on the read..) :mad: anyone help me out ? i thought a raid was suppose to be faster.. the write on the raid was about 6.74.. and the read 20.54 its an onboard hightpoint udma/ata100 raid controller on an epox-8k3a+ there are a total of 3 drives on the controller.. the 2 for the raid on the master and the 60gb on the slave channel

Can you also post your ATTO scores for the two?

How are you running the RAID? Motherboard or PCI card?

What is your RAID 0 stripe size?

Did you ran a disk cleanup and defrag before running those benchmarks?

raid

its an onboard hightpoint udma/ata100 raid controller on an epox-8k3a+ i stated that in my orignal post.. and if you mean block size i left it a defalut of 64k i didnt defrage or use diskclean before..

Last edited:
Have you tested without the 60 gig connected?
Have you tried moving it to an ide channel?
You are using 80 wire ata cables with the blue end in the controller plug? Have you followed seagates advice on setting the jumpers to master or whatever they suggest?

i removed the 60gb off the controller.. and it didnt make any difference if i had some web space somewhere i could put up the ATTO scores.. but i dont.. and i have the drives connected like it says on the sheat..

more problems

i disconnced the dirves.. then tryed hooking on drive to each channel... so only one drive on one cable.. when i bootked back up it says the master of the array is gone.. i set it back up the way it was.. and it still says the master is missing.. HELP !!!:( bolth drives still work. because if i go into the raid controller setup i can see bolth drives.. but only the slave is showing as part of the array..

Last edited:
I may be wrong here but I think RAID 0 requires each drive to be on a different Controller connector. From the way it sounds you had the 2 80's on 1 cable and the 60 on another. If this is true, you most likely created a JBOD.

Make sure you have the 60 on the some connector that you had on it before.

If you have already verified this. Reformat and reinstall.

its gone

well i lost all the data that was on the raid array :( .. but now windows is intall in the 60gb and i will install games and other sutff on the raid that i want to run a bit faster. i put each drive on its own ide channle and now its hitting close to 80mbs on the read and low 50's on the write i changed the block size down to 16 and the allocation unit size from default to 16k. i am just wondering now if i put the page file on the raid will it help windows run faster ?

Yes it will, raid plus ide needs a page file on both.I don't understand why but i have to have one on each for the write speed to be up to par.

Back