• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

>.< Nero Hates me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I'm trying to burn ISO images in Nero, but my drive keeps hanging. I've tried burning the same file at different speeds, and it hangs at 7% on 52x, 6% on 40x, and 5% on 24x. It just freezes, then about a half hour later it just says that the record failed. At first I thought it was Nero 5, so I got Nero 6 and I still have the same problem. Also, whenever Nero's running, my system gets really slow, even if I'm not burning anything. I also can't burn regular data, because when I click "burn data CD" my computer just freezes. I haven't tried audio CDs yet, but I'm sure I'll have some sort of problem with those too :rolleyes:. My drive is a Samsung 352-BENB (CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo), and it works fine for reading. I don't know if the problem is with Nero or the drive, because when I burn I can hear it spinning, it's just that nothing happens :(

OK, it's not the drive: I got it to work under linux. What could be wrong with Nero? Are there any good, free alternatives?

Hmm...well, the CD burning _does_ seem to stop working just as the buffer is fully loaded... how could I change the way Nero uses RAM?

Just curious, what version of Nero are you using?

I use an older Nero 5.5, which came free with my TDK burner and it works 100% of the time with no errors.

William

This kind of thing is really hard to troubleshoot remotely. Are you using DMA or PIO? Big hint, you want DMA. Depending on the OS version, you can check it and set it in Control Panel, System, Device Manager. In 98, it should be under the CDROM entry. Right click on your burner and choose the Settings tab. One of them should be DMA. If it isn't checked, check it (well, X it). You'll get a warning about dire consequences if the hardware isn't designed for DMA, but just about everything reasonably modern can use DMA. If you can't select it, then there is a driver problem.

For later OS versions, instead of being under CDROM, you have to look under the IDE ATA/ATAPI entry. You have to right click on the correct IDE channel and then the master or slave entry. The setting is there somewhere.

If DMA is on and you're still having problems, maybe you need to update the IDE driver. If you have two devices on the IDE channel, disconnect the other one and see what happens.

wquiles: I've tried both 5.5 and 6, and both have the same problem. It's weird, because 5.5 came with my burner, so I would think that they could bundle software that actually worked with the burner.

dgk: I can't find any DMA checkbox (in Windows XP). I've found my drive under the heading "DVD/CDROM drives", but when i go to properties there's no checkbox, and if I look under "IDE/ATAPI controllers" I can't find anything about my Master/Slave drives. I'll try updating my drivers and see if that works.

I updated my drivers and now I can see these drop-down boxes which have "PIO-only" or "DMA if available", but they're already on DMA :(

Just wondering did you update the firmware for the drive? If this problem has been happening for a while then it's probably firmware. If it's new then Media could be the problem. I once had some media drive me nuts, updated all my drivers and firmware and the burn would still fail. Later i found out it was the media and ditch the entire tub.

EDIT:
Firmware here
Flash utility here

I've got the most recent firmware, and I've tried burning with three different brands of media.

I just found out though, that when it fails burning, I don't end up with a coaster. It just never starts burning under nero, so if it fails I'm just left with a blank CD.

Get Nero 6, it is much better.
And that makes 3 idiot posts out of the 15 on this thread :rolleyes:. Seriously, I appreciate everyone that's helped me, but try to read the thread before posting...

Tebore: ASPI :eh?: Please enlighten me... yeah, my board's an nforce2 (Abit NF&-S 2.0 to be exact), and I'm using the drivers that came with the Mobo. I looked on NVIDIA's site but I can't seem to find older drivers... after selecting my OS and all that it just points me to the most recent drivers :(

nero to use the burner correctly, if it isnt supported by nero, needs aspi drivers, get the newest for xp and it should be able to recognize the drive, also do a test before burning and see what percentage it gets to. most newer drives have buffer underrun protection to , make sure that is checked so it wont happen.

I'm pretty sure my drive's already supported, because Samsung bundled Nero with the drive and because nobody else seems to have problems with it when I look at the newegg reviews. Also, the drive shows up and everything under Nero and I have buffer underrun enabled, it just doesn't physically burn to the disk. It gets to a certain percentage (usually < 8%), then just stops before actually writing to the disk. Even after the write "fails" the disk is still completely intact and blank, and I've written other things to them under Linux. Maybe Nero has a problem actually using my drive's burning laser?

I downloaded the ASPI drivers, and they don't help :(

Here's the exact messages I get when I try to burn a CD:

Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Super Link activated
Caching of files started
Caching of files completed
Burn process started at 40x (6,000 KB/s)
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B
SCSI command aborted (note by me: I did not click abort or stop or anything, it seems to do this automatically every time I try to burn a CD)
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B\H1 T1
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B
SCSI command aborted
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B\H1 T1
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Could not perform EndSession
Burn process failed at 40x (6,000 KB/s)

In this case it stopped at 6%, and even at lower speeds I get almost the same error messages.

Back