• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video editing with raid 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

What would be the best (and safest) raid setup for a video editing computer? I am thinking about 3 sata 80gigers on raid5. Is this going to be the best way?

well how is your cash.. i don't realy like raid 5 safe good reads but slow wrights. you might want to consider a 0+1. it would take 4 drive and only be 1/2 the size of the 4. but will give you by far the fastest reads and wrights. what do you all think...

RAID 5 wouldn't be the best solution for video editing because of its inherently low bandwidth. If you are truly concerned about redundancy, I would opt for a RAID 0+1, but you will need four disks for that and get only half of total capacity.

Personally I would just use a RAID 0, and say to hell with redundancy. Drives don't fail that often anymore, and few applications warrant true fault tolerance.

Yes I have also considered 0 but this is for his new business that he is starting. I guess I will present him with the options of 0 or 1+0. Thx guys.

I'm setting up a video editing box and since I have most of the drives already, I'll be doing 2 drives in a RAID 0 setup and 3 drives in a RAID 5 setup for storage. The RAID 0 will be used for scratch for speed and when I'm done, the data will be stored on the second array.

Like was mentioned above, RAID 5 writes are too slow for video edition IMO.

Back