• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

via aqua silencer mod... FAILED?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

well, i've never used a pump before so i dont know what is considered "loud". my brand new Via Aqua 1300 didnt make much noise in operation, it just vibrated a whole bunch. i figure that is what is meant by loud. Anyways, i did the mod where you glue the impeller to the magnet, first using some old rubber cement - no good. tried some gorrilla glue, and it worked fine. However, my pump is now loud and vibrates more intenely. How in the hell could i have done this mod wrong? it's so simple. just glue. :mad:

-David

you might have reinstalled it wrong.. when i assembled mine together after the mod, it did the same thing, after sometime, the rubber end caps were worn down and the pump became unusable..
i did get the mod to work on another via aqua, the via aqua does make noise but after a while of use (atleast with mine.) as for the vibrations, u can't fix that. if u're able to fix it, i would suggest using foam or anti vibration/acustic matting (www.akasa.com.tw) to absorb the vibrations.

squeakygeek said:
I don't know where you read about the mod, but I believe it calls for superglue....

... rubber cement?!?!?!?:eek:

I thought people were having problems with the superglue slowly dissolving into the water? After several months, the noise would be back. Dunno if rubber cement is a good replacement or not.

well the rubber cement didnt work.. as said above. but this gorrilla glue is water proof and holds very well. however, still noisy :\

Darn dude. Sorry to hear that didnt work out for ya. Have done it myself and it workt quite well. Still there are, as we all know, vibrations to consider. i tried to solve this in a bit unorthdox way. Came across this a few months ago :
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=109&page=1

And thoght, why not try this on the pump?
Well i did, and it works! Now i have a bigtower case, but one should be able to do this in a smaller case as well. just get some of that bungee-cord, make aharness for the pump, and hang it up, as far up as tubing/kinks will allow.

i realize that this is a bit off topic, but since we are talking bout the via agua, i thought id share this "with the the group" since its cheap and helps getting u one step closer to that blissful thing that is silent computing:)

cheers

hey, nevermind. it magically fixed itself after being on for about 10 mins... wierd

Hey mumrah,

Here is my experience with the Via Aqua 1300, your mileage may vary:

I did the Via Aqua 1300 impeller mod about 3 months ago and my 1300 is still virtually silent. The "new" noise and vibration you are experiencing may be a startup issue that is not uncommon after the mod.

The stock impeller on the Via 1300 allows about 1/4 inch of free rotation on the shaft in either direction before the impeller actually gets moving. This slight free rotation allows the pump to get moving before encountering the resistance of the water with the impleller blades. This "slop" in the mechanism also causes a lot of the vibration and pump noise in the stock Via 1300.

This mod is intended to glue the impeller into a fixed position eliminating the free rotation as well as vibration and noise. Unfortunately, in doing so it also removes the slop in the mechanism that assisted in the pump's start up.

My Via needs from 10-20 seconds to get going now, and it sits there rumbling while it tries to come to life. I leave my PC running 24/7, so I don't have to stop/start my Via unless I am doing maintenance or there is a power outage at my house.

I haven't had any trouble with my Via outside of this startup issue.

Good luck!!

SSM, thanks. That's basically exactly what's happening with my system right now.

Well then everything is normal. :)

Just FYI. My original super glue job has held up for 3 months so far. If you used an actual waterproof glue, you should be in good shape for a long time.

Back