• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Killing the fans for a download

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well download a temp monitoring program. Then while you are surfing on-line turn the fans off. If the computer overheats then that means it won't last the night with the fans off. Do it when you are awake first, and it should be the same when you are asleep.

I would love to do that to my PSU fan. If I could shut that off, my PC would be silent. But I'm not sure if it would do some damage.

Agent_Mull,
Another option for you is to replace the fans with silent ones. I think I'm gonna get a silent one for my PSU.

dorimon81 said:
Agent_Mull,
Another option for you is to replace the fans with silent ones. I think I'm gonna get a silent one for my PSU.

but this is just a onetime thing. also im not a big internet spender b/c my parents hold the creditcard. if i had maybe like a Visa Bux card or something, then i might buy alot more online.

i don't think lowering the fsb will provide you with an accurate test. unless you're gonna lower your fsb everynight...

can the noise really be that bad that its worth the risk? it cant be that noisy??? (see my sig) I leave mine running over night...

my honest opinion is dont risk it just for one night lost sleep... is the download that important that you couldnt stay up all night?

My computer was noisy, so I just switched Asus' Q-fan control on, set the FSB to 100 and lowered all the voltages. It only takes one reboot.

The computer was then quiet enough, so I could sleep. I did unplug a few fans that weren't critical.

HOLY %$^&*$!@#%#$%#$% THAT POS THERMALTAKE WAS LOUDER THAH #$^%!$T%#&Y^ > OGG $TWHKHMW>WRHTRW>H>WW>WHRER>GKOTRGLRTKGRWLGKWRGLRTGRG>>
*freaks out lewis black style*

i didnt even make it a 1/2 hour into the night. And yes it is loud.

Last edited:
It seems that you may have more of a heat issue than just the noise level. Are you overclocked,if so how much? Have you checked to make sure your HSF is seated properly. Some more specs on fans with the placement of them, which HSF are you using, voltages of the cpu and other like video card and its voltagesm memory and voltages. It sounds as though something doesnt sound exactly right if your temps are that high to begin with. Also, what are your temps idle/load?

Tread

couldnt you have just put a single intake and your heatsink fans on the 5V rail for hte night? i did that for a few weeks to low level format a dying 80 gig...(yet i still gave up and unplugged it eventually...) it was somewhat quiet...my psu fan was the worst, old stupid pos no name psu wiht a crappy dying fan....yuck.

Back