• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP voltage really help ATi cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogboot

i have overclocked the hell out of a few nVidia cards, but this is my first Ati. i have always heard about AGP voltage being upped to increase overclock potential, but i have tried and tried on my nVidia cards and upping AGP voltage never raised my max overclock. will it help my 9800 pro to gain a higher clock? i will prob already have tried it by the time someone replies, but feedback is very encouraged. thanks :D

I found it didn't help any with my 9500np and current 9800pro. I guess these cards only use the AGP port for communication and draw most of their power needed from the extra molex connector.

It will help only if your mobo is out of spec in deliverence of power to the AGP port. If you mobo is already supplyinh the AGP port w/ enough juice, then it will do nothing....

It might also help if you are running your AGP bus out of spec, but usually you only need to do that on P4 systems.

yeah my 400w antec psu is supplying plenty of juice so it wouldn't be helpful to increase it. thanks guys

As far as I know, the current ATi cards regulate the voltage on the card... so in other words, just upping the voltage in BIOS won't do jack. Again, this is just what I've heard/read.

I have tested it myself with 2 of my cards (9700 Pro and 9800 XT) and it's been true in my case.

Back