• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian-Li PC60USB or Kingwin KT424-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Mechanic2

For those in the market for an aluminum mid-tower case that comes with the convenience of a slidable motherboard tray, these are two seemingly equal cases. The cost for both is similar. The size and shape is similar. But each has it's own quirks and twists. The Lian-Li PC60-series has been out for a while now, while the Kingwin is relatively new.

Kingwin KT-424
Dimensions: 440mm (H) x 500mm (D) x 208mm (W)
Cooling: Intake 2x80mm Exhuast 1x80mm Blowhole N/A
Price: $94 - NewEgg

Lian-Li PC-60USB
Dimensions: 450mm (H) x 490mm (D) x 210mm (W)
Cooling: Intake 2x80mm Exhaust 1x80mm Blowhole 1x80mm
Price: $115 - AllStarShop

For comparison, size dimensions of some popular cases:
Cheiftec BX and Dragon Series - 522mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 205mm (W)
Antec SLK3700AMB Series - 465mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 210mm (W)
Antec Super LAN BOY Series - 420mm (H) x 435 (D) x 208mm (W)
Cooler Master Praetorian Series - 452mm (H) x 497mm (D) x 196mm (W)
Aspire X-Alien Series - 522mm (H) x 473mm (D) x 205 (W)

Now I don't expect to find a definative answer to which is a better case. To each his own, and opinions should vary. But what are your opinions of these cases?

How much of an influence, if any, does the implementation of a motherboard tray have on you? Is a pull-out motherboard tray (like that on the X-Alien and P160) considered on-par with the slidable variety found on Lian-Li, Kingwin, and CoolerMaster cases? What about the ease to modify the intake/exhaust to accept 120mm fans?

These cases cost about $100-115. Are they worth the $20-40 increase in price over steel Chieftec BX-series cases, which are a bit larger?

Well I have a Kingwing 424

Well I just installed an Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board on the Kingwin 424 with a SP-94 heatsink equiped with a 92mm tornado fan. I put a blow hole on the top of this case and an equiping it with an 80mm fan. The removable tray and easy access side panels are easy to work with the thumbscrews. The motherboard connectors for power, reset, led headers are an ease to work with due to you can disconnect it at a splitter, assemble the connectors to board and reconnecting it. Here's a pic of mine so far, just waiting till next pay to get 1gig of corsair xms 4000 pro and ati radeon 9800xt:)

Attachments

• case 1v2.jpg
    case 1v2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 127
looks interesting. Im tired of my boreing chieftec dragon and dont want some uber l337 rice-mobile for a case (aka premod, no insult to the people here who actually put in time and effort to mod their cases, im just too lazy and i find just aobut any pre-mod to be low quality and i, personally, am not that attracted to non functional case modifications that are not simple.) Its like prefering a mercedies over a skyline. This case looks nice, of course the fan grills have to go. I definatly like the design.

I know this doesnt help you much, but i like the design alot and its much cheeper than the lian-li. One thing to note about computers of this size (i transfered a friends computer from one case of this size to an antec sonata) They are more cramped. I find that i dont have nearly as much work room and things seem like they are a little tight. I think this isnt too big of a deal though, esp with a removable mobo tray.

I will always tell people to go for the Kingwin over other companies due to the quality of every product I have bought from them. I have used their cases all the way back to the now discontinued Super Flower rebadge cases (three window deal) and loved them all.

As you have stated the cases are almost identical and I at one point happened to have both but in black. I sat them side by side and the differences were so small that I could barely notice any that matered. They even come in the same box and only the "Lian-Li" and "Kingwin" label are different.

I would say go for whichever you want. If you want the Lian-Li name then pay the extra $10.00 otherwise go for the Kingwin. I myself would rather have the Kingwin of course. :)

How resirictive is the front wire mesh screen on the kingwin? I am always concerned aobut cooling.

It appears quite restricting, as it's quite thick, but things like that can usually be fixed quite easilly :)

Purchasing a new case is like purchasing a new car - in a lighter atmosphere. Unless you've falling in love with a particular brand, nothing is ever ideal. There's always issues that you have to contend with, blemishes that you have to fix.

There is no mid-tower case that is ideal for internal water-cooling - something that is usually on every overclocker's mind - while remaining completely stock. Both of these cases are going to be a time-consuming hassle for most anyone to pull off a clean water-cooling job off in. But usually when someone does pull it off (and cleans it up), it comes off looking like a masterpiece :) Neither of these two $100 cases are something that most would be willing to rip out the front hard drive bays in order to fit a 6" x 6" rad/heater core in, but which of these two would it be easier to retain good-looks after doing so (my thinking is with the Lian-Li).

If you want a very easy w/c case try the Super Flower 201 (same as Kingwins old 201 but cheaper). I used it for w/c and it worked like a champ. I took out the front USB panel and hdd rack, drilled a 120mm fan whole through both front covers making for clear airflow and that was it for w/c mods.

What mainly makes it work well for w/c is its longer than most cases. While the two cases you listed are measured at 440/450; that includes the inch or so of the front panel, With the 201 there is no front panel space so it leaves radiator/shroud room. I had a chevette core with 1 1/2" shrouds and panaflos on both sides and it still only came to the edge of the motherboard. The two you are looking at will have problems with a core that large as it interferes with the motherboard. As it is longer than most it is also wider making it easier to put the pump below the graphics card very easy.

I just can't say enough about the 201, it worked perfect and looks damn good imo. I still have mine but its in retirement right now, I just can't bring myself to sell it off. You can get it with or without 3 windows and its really light so it makes for a great travel/lan case. It also has the slide-out mb tray like you want but is discontinued so the only place I have seen it still is Directron for $108.00.

Back