• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shadowcooler design pics etc, comments appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowcat

block.jpg

That is the main design for the waterblock, here is the design for the back assembly (this is meant to attach on to the 80mm fan mounting holes at the back of most PC cases):

finalconf1.jpg

I have more details and pics hosted on my site here: (also includes details about pump, rad etc) Teh Shadowsite

Any comments / suggestions are much appreciated!

I think it's good, but it's overcomplicated.

those things on the oustside of the block are useless, unless this is for cooling a pelt that is.

If not, then those 3 posts on the oustside are useless, but I geuss they look cool eh?

A cnc mill would take that easily, but anything 2mm past the core is pointless. keep that in mind.

Jon

It will probably cool as well as others of similar design. It will work but it won't be fantastic. Current design theory is to maximize copper area just above the CPU and to maximize water velocity through that area. You're design doesn't do either. But still, it should be okay.

I think your reservoir design may create a vortex, possibly sucking air into the system.

I'd make that plate holding the fan into a shroud.

Use a bigger fan. 80 just doesn't seem to cut it. Black Ice Micros were really meant to be used in pairs. It will certainly keep your CPU from burning up, but not much else. You need the air of a 120mm fan.

Shadowcat said:
It will be done on a CNC mill, how do you mean anything 2mm past the core?

Often times the heat never makes it too far away from were the core is on the block (I gues sabout 2mm). All your efforts to dissapate should be centered as close to the core as possible so that you get the heat away as quickly as possible, the heat should never reach the outer parts of the block. Thats why the cascade, whitewater and other top preforming blocks generaly only have an area with fins or whatever other designe that is about the size of the CPU core, it isn't needed elsewere and only serves to inhibit the flow of water more, thats generally bad.

Ok, I might work on a different design then.. one original concept I had was basically like a white water.. however I don't really want to make just another white water clone..

Graystar: A shroud will be placed on the other side of the radiator, for an 80mm fan.. or perhaps a 120mm, thing is that an 80mm with a shroud happens to look a whole lot better in my opinion.

The reservoir will be above the pump by a fair amount so hopefully a vortex being created is unlikely... but we will see during the testing phase.

I'm currently now concepting a block re-design, it will be similar to a WW I guess, but with my own little Shadowsite (our logo is a paw) twist.. just to make it look 'pretty'

Back