• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 9600 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

My bro bought a 9600 on black friday. And the damn thing still isn't working right, lol. He has tried both catalyst 3.9 and 3.7 drivers. After installing the drivers and rebooting, the monitor will go to standby right after the XP log in screen. Other times when installing driver in a less conventional manner the screen will go blank right after that XP loading screen (with the green or blue bar). He has also installed the newest AGP drivers for his board. He got it to "kinda work" when he disabled the 9600 listing in the device manager (leaving the 9600 secondary enabled). Then after disabling the 9600, reboot, then after reboot enable it, then when he wants to turn off the computer disable it again, then reable it upon reboot... wierd eh? I tell him just to do a clean install of XP, but he dosn't want to... oh well. What else should he try? Maybe if I sat down at it, I could figure it out, but it's his thing.

His computer is an HP btw.

i have the SAME problem.... for the hell of me i cant get it to not go into sleep after installing any Cat's!!!!
i also got from BB and i assure you my computer is NOT an HP

No doubt HP dosn't help. He's thinking about getting a new case and mobo. And having me rebuild it.

What card do you have phiber?

so far i tried the CD that came with the card...that didnt work.... used 3.10s and 3.9 omega's nothing works...

just a quick question: ATI is super finicky about CAT installations, and one version can't be installed on top of another, for the most part.

i would highly recommend at least one clean reformat/driver install and see if that helps.

ive done 4 different Cats with FRESH winXP installations... i think i reformatted/installed 6 different times....

I have had that same problem with last two Cat drivers (3.9 and 3.10).

You'll need to unistall what you have now in safe mode. Run a driver clean up utility like driver cleaner, otherwise no matter what you try your computer will still have fragments of the newer cats.

Reboot then install cat 3.7 or 3.8. Preferably 3.7 as many had more success with this. MAke sure to cancel the automatic driver install as well otherwise you'll get a blank screen again!

Good luck, i know it's a bi*tch to get right but when it works you'll love the card!

Back