• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advantages to a mobile barton? besides multi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
__TRONIK__ said:
does the lower vcore seem to help or hurt, and have the average overclocks been higher? anecdotal evidence, I know.

I was able to run 200x11 @ 1.55V on my XP-M, and I imagine the lower Vcore can help in the hot Summer months. We'll see when the time comes ;-). As for higher OC's, I've had better luck with the Mobile chip than I did with either of my desktop Barton CPU's. I've only recently started testing the XP-M, but as you can see in my sig, it's Prime-stable at a relatively high clock speed. SuperPi scores 39-40 seconds.

I just ran PCMark02:

CPU: 7556
Memory: 7157
HDD: 1044

wow! so what is the difference here? As I see it, "mobile" cpu's run their rated speed at a lower vcore than their desktop counterparts. PLus, some are unlocked? seems like I'll be getting one of these to try it out.

__TRONIK__ said:
PLus, some are unlocked?

AFAIK, they're all unlocked, but they won't work in all mobos. If you have a NF-7(S), however, you're all set.

seems like I'll be getting one of these to try it out.

That's what I said to myself last weekend, ordered on Tuesday, had it running by Friday. Good luck!

so how did they get these chips to run at that ridiculously low vcore? total cherry picks? and is there any difference in the instruction set - IE is a mobile barton at 2.4 teh same as a desktop barton @ 2.4?

there is no intel-like "speed stepping" is there?

Yeah, they should be the same actual processor. They just hand pick ones that scale better than normal and are able to run at a lower vCore.

I don't think it's like Intel's Centrino stuff - that's actually a different processor. I'm pretty sure that the mobiles are just lucky processors.

ATM I am burning in a desktop barton I got with a blue core - there is a thread about it here in the AMD forums. Got it to do 227x11 @ 2.08vcore (may not need this much) for 2.5ghz, cpu interface disabled, 7-3-2-2. Folded for a couple hours before I rebooted to burn it in for 24 hours or so at 133x11 and 2.15vcore.

still hope I can upgrade the cooling or use less vcore to get 2.5 - even if it is stable I dont like my load temps up that high. I bet on a prommie this sucka would do 2.7-2.8 and maybe betta if I'm lucky.

Still interested in the mobile bartons, though. Need to collect more info about their overclocks. Also read somewhere that they have some sort of instruction set that some mobos dont like. (like mine supposedly) I wonder if differing instruction sets mean the mobile barton is not as fast at the same speed as a desktop barton.

__TRONIK__ said:
ATM I am burning in a desktop barton I got with a blue core - there is a thread about it here in the AMD forums. Got it to do 227x11 @ 2.08vcore (may not need this much) for 2.5ghz, cpu interface disabled, 7-3-2-2. Folded for a couple hours before I rebooted to burn it in for 24 hours or so at 133x11 and 2.15vcore.

When you do some testing, I think you'll find that disabling the CPU Interface is extremely detrimental to performance.

Still interested in the mobile bartons, though. Need to collect more info about their overclocks. Also read somewhere that they have some sort of instruction set that some mobos dont like. (like mine supposedly) I wonder if differing instruction sets mean the mobile barton is not as fast at the same speed as a desktop barton.

Actually, your mobo is perfect for a Mobile chip and their performce, all things being equal, is identical to the desktop chips.

as far as cpu interface - at 223 enabled scores were lower than at 235 disabled before I became aware of the Bios 1.0 allowing me to run 235 with it enabled and having my 10.5x multiplier enabled as well .. I wanted a later bios for suspend to ram ability which doesnt work properly with BIos 1.0 , but I dont need it ..

StinkNBreff said:
as far as cpu interface - at 223 enabled scores were lower than at 235 disabled ....

As I'm sure you can imagine, my experience is the complete opposite of this. I'm curious, were you running the RAM in 1:1 synch DC? Which benchmarks did you test this with?

yeah I know it isn't optimal to go w/ cpu interface disabled, but since I couldn't get the rig to budge over 223fsb even by losening my timings and boosting every voltage I could think of, it seemed to be the best way to determine what the actual headroom of the processor itself was.

having since bought a multi meter, I found out the the vdd penciling I did last summer had given me 2.0volts - glad I didn't pencil any more! it's been running a long time at that voltage stable though, and since my NB never even gets very warm it doesn't seem to be a biggie. I backed it off to 1,9 though jsut to be careful. I tried running 1.5vdd as some have found it gets very good results, but it did not seem to help.

my vdimm hovers between 3.0 and 3.1 volts per MBM, I guess my last vestage of hope is to do the vdimm mod and get my bh-5 up to 3.3 before I give up on better fsb.

That's not entirely true I guess - I have tried bios d10 before but remember it not doing any good, in fact I think it may have only run slightly less fsb in order to pass memtest, so I flashed back. I have not tried either of the popular modded d10's though, what were the names of the two again and where might I find them? It is very important that I get the one that has addressed the bios corruption issues though. I have a roommie who got an NF7-S as per my recommendation but I don't need to learn how to hotswap flash under those circumstances.

When I have the board out for movement into my new case and for insulation against condensation I will be doing the vdimm mod, lapping the NB and slapping on this intel I486 coolermaster active heatsink

pic_show.asp

hopefully all of that plus a new bios will give me some more fsb. I am somewhat disappointed at this point since I can run memtest all day at 223 but can't even go up 1mhz with totally loosened timings without a couple memtest errors. Supposedly this is what d10 is for, but like I said, the abit d10 didn't help before. And this is bh-5 pc3700 for crying out loud.

back on topic.........

I have a 2400+ mobile on the way. Gonna be running it w/ a custom prommy direct die I am building.

may have to test it out with my current WC setup to see what it can do under h2o first. It's not necessarily the best indicator of what will happen when I plunge below ambient though, but if it can at least match the barton in my sig then I should be good to go. I love the chip in my sig, but GD amd had to go and lock the sucker so assuming my fsb is maxed any amount of cooling isn't going to nudge it any higher. I expect temps in single digits and maybe a couple degrees below 0c.

Hope I luck out with a cherry of a chip since extensive condensation proofing will make it a pain in the rear to swap out chips.

Yikes! now that is what I like to see! OMG! My 2400+ showed up and had problems at stock, back she went for another one. Did you have to tweak anything abnormally to get that? I thought I had read that the 2400+ did a little better - guess not!

I have a contingency plan now - i got a DFI Infinity mobo, the uber FSB that allows means that I can finally squeeze every last mhz out of my locked 2500+ that does 2.455 @ 1.86vcore limited by the fsb of my NF7. I seriously dount it gets 2.7 though - might have to trade up to a mobile 2500+ if this one is a dud too! Any idea what vcore you were running at 2.45 during your testing ramp up that i might use for a reference point?

fantastic clock my man!

Last edited:
__TRONIK__ said:
Yikes! now that is what I like to see! OMG! My 2400+ showed up and had problems at stock, back she went for another one. Did you have to tweak anything abnormally to get that? I thought I had read that the 2400+ did a little better - guess not!

I have a contingency plan now - i got a DFI Infinity mobo, the uber FSB that allows means that I can finally squeeze every last mhz out of my locked 2500+ that does 2.455 @ 1.86vcore limited by the fsb of my NF7. I seriously dount it gets 2.7 though - might have to trade up to a mobile 2400+ if this one is a dud too! Any idea what vcore you were running at 2.45 during your testing ramp up that i might use for a reference point?

fantastic clock my man!

No special settings, vcore is 1.95, mine did 2.45 with approx 1.80 vcore so a little lower than yours, even with my vcore at 2.0 I never saw over 48c while running prime for 4 hrs, oh and heatware is up again.

-Milkman

__TRONIK__ said:
I wonder if differing instruction sets mean the mobile barton is not as fast at the same speed as a desktop barton.
They use the same x86 instruction set (and the same addons of mmx, 3dnow, and sse) as the desktop chips. The only differences, AFAIK, are lower voltages/power consumption, and support for powernow (which can be enabled on desktop chips through bridge-modding).

will the mobile xp's work on via chip sets like they do with n2 or is it depend on motherboards makes?

depends on some factors like the allowable voltages in your bios, etc. I've heard varying reasons why, and some say that it only runs in SOME nforce2 boards. I know abit and dfi allow it because I have been paying attention to them. Can't say definitively about anyone else.

Well My Epox8RDA3+ hasn't had one problem with the chip...

I've clocked it up to 2.63GHz @ 1.975V so far... I don't like it hitting 50C at that voltage though.

I just got my two Enermax 95 CFM fans and Caprice heatercore today... I've got everything but the pump coming in on Tues :D I think 2.7 will be entirely within reach.

Back