• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rio Pumps - Inline use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pauldenton

anyone any experience of these pumps?

in particular, the 2500, available in the UK at £41.35 inc vat and delivery:
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/ac...ue_Power_Heads___Universal_Water_Pumps_4.html

site quotes:
31 Watts, 3M/10ft of head, 2972L/H/660gph max flow, and a 2 year warranty.

this australian site (same voltage so presumably the same performance):
http://www.pond-equipment.creativefountains.com.au/Pumps/Rio/RIO_PH..htm
quotes the same, plus a size of 130x70x90mm, and states that inline use is possible - tubing size is quoted at 19mm (3/4").

this pump appears to offer approx Eheim 1260 performance, at a sub 1250 price, from a pump smaller than a hydor L30 or Ehiem 1046
:cool:

is it really possible that such an undiscovered gem exists in the pump world, or is there some problem with them/is inline use impossible?

Look at the bottom (or wherever the inlet is) of the pump. The entire grilled area needs to be covered for it to work inline. I used to use a Rio800, and there's no way it would work inline. If you somehow could, it would take a lot of modifications, and I still wouldn't trust it. Pumps built to be submersible could run into a lot of problems if you try to run them inline.

Rio pumps are not good quality, I have heard of a few having them work for a while, and lots of deaths, people dont usually touch them anymore.
the pump is the heart of your system, you wouldnt skimp out on your own heart would you?

Jon

johan851 said:
Look at the bottom (or wherever the inlet is) of the pump. The entire grilled area needs to be covered for it to work inline. I used to use a Rio800, and there's no way it would work inline. If you somehow could, it would take a lot of modifications, and I still wouldn't trust it. Pumps built to be submersible could run into a lot of problems if you try to run them inline.

hmm - the aussie site states:
"Dry mounted inline use: Yes for models 1100 and lager, Not Suitable for 800 & smaller" so maybe the design is different - there's certainly a big jump in size... from 63x43x60 to 99x64x83

what did you think of it as a pump?

JFettig said:
Rio pumps are not good quality, I have heard of a few having them work for a while, and lots of deaths, people dont usually touch them anymore.
the pump is the heart of your system, you wouldnt skimp out on your own heart would you?

Jon

cheers for the reply .... sounds like that's the flaw - though i'm surprised they'd five a 2 year warranty if so (course it might only apply to submersible use...) :(

edit: not so much wanting to skimp on the heart, as get one that's not "enlarged".....

Last edited:
They'll frag the rio pumps until they never hear about them again. Go spend $10 on one, take care of it and see how long it lasts.

Back