• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

233 pentium 2 worth folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy71600

Will this computer be able to finish wu's in reasonable time? This comp is on 24/7 and i want it to do something useful :)

It will be very close. Since the computer is on 24/7 anyway, go ahead and try it out. If it makes deadlines, keep it folding! Otherwise, you can fun gah units and still get folding credit. They have no deadlines.

i guess ill give it a go. Somethign about tonight just makes me want to fold on every comp i can... hehe

Andy71600 said:
i guess ill give it a go. Somethign about tonight just makes me want to fold on every comp i can... hehe

Now you've got the spirit :beer:

Andy71600 said:

Good choice ;) Let us know how it folds.

well... its been about 35-40 minutes, and the comp has not completed one step. What do you guys think?

My 800 Mhz Athlon using 3dNow takes 45 minutes per frame. Expect more along the lines of 2 - 3 hours per frame since it's using standard optimizations. Try using -advmethods to get a gromac as that will probably make the deadlines easier than it would on Tinkers.

Might as well try it

I had a GW2K laptop with 341 ram and a P1 233 on 24/7 folding, but it stank. I have it doing GAH protein design, but it still is slow. Same can be said for my PII 333 Dell laptop. I use it to fold GAH units so at least I can get credits, though they take forever!
Fold for a cure! Hooah!

1. XP 2500+ (12.5x188) on KT6 Delta with 512 OCZ PC3200 (2-2-2-6), Radeon 9500 Pro, 2x100 Sata raid 1, XP Pro
2. XP 2200+ (13.5x141) on KT4 Ultra with 2x256 PC2700, GeF 3 Ti200 128mb, 2x100mb sata raid 1, Mandrake Enterprise Server
3. OEM HP Pavilion P4 1.7 (sorry wife's pc and no oc allowed), XP Home
4. Dually (maybe) for sure another AMD

Last edited:
For example the P233 can complete 20 frames/24 hours. So a gah protein with 600 frames will take 30 days to complete. A long time to wait for 30 credits. This laptop has 341MB pc100 sodimm ram.

The iMAC G3 333 using the gah screen saver takes between 1.5 to 2 weeks-updated text to complete the same amount of wu's. This has 256mb pc100 sodimm ram.

The PII333 is similar to the G3. This laptop has 512mg pc100 sodimm ram and takes around 1.5 to 2.5 weeks to complete.

So yes to answer your initial post it will work, but it will take a month to get wu credits and it is usually protein 799 under the gah client which is 21 credits I believe.

Last edited:
Same here! I'd say give it a try. Go to town and borg!

Andy71600 said:

Last edited:
I think my p-pro 233Mhz is doing alright probably due to the onboard cache compared to pentium 1's and mmx's. It got done 8% in about 20 hrs. It's a WU a week and a half, but it makes deadlines by a long shot. I thought that l2 full speed cache didn't really matter too much untill I saw how much faster it folds with some l2 at all compared to none. The pentium pro is just a dual core pentium 150-233Mhz. The second core is just the full speed l2 cache though.

Back