• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Idea? (LED fan on SLK-900(a))

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

I am investing in a new heatsink/fan for overclocked AMD and am prolly gonna get the Thermalright SLK-900(A) and was just wondering if it would be a bad idea to put one of "cool, flashy" LED fans on it? Is there any reason why an LED fan wold not make a good fon on a CPU heatsink vs. a regular fan besides possibly less airflow or more noise (the fan or LED's melt or something crazy like that)?
(I'm talking about 80mm fans btw)

yeh the fact that they do produce less airflow is the reason it is not really a good idea. LED fans are made to be case fans and not cpu fans. They are low rpm low vfm fans

heres an idea though:

get a normal really good cooling fan (not an led one) such as a SF2 or a Tornado or whatever. Then in the little holes on each edge of the fan place 3mm LEDs of which ever color you like.

To make it work you can get a spare molex from your psu and use the +5v(red wire) and ground for this. Connect 4 wires to the +5v (if you want lights on each hole) and 4 wires from one from one of the grounds. Solder about a 100ohm resistor on each of the ones coming from the +5v (you can get a higher ohm to reduce the resistance for less light or get a 2000mcd LED, the lower the mcd the dimmer the light) and solder it to the long leg of the LED and solder the ground wires to the short leg of the LED.

It would look great plus it will only be a few dollars.:)

though this isnt your question, i notice you are looking at the SLK-900A. While the SLK-900 is a great heatsink, i dont like the A because it clips on to the socket and is alot of weight on the socket, way out of amd spec. That being said if it was really easy to break they wouldnt be sold but if your moving the computer for a lan or something, there would be a serious chance of damaging the socket if you dropped the comp or bumped it hard. If you can i would reccomend getting the U version. If you dont have the mounting holes then the A should be fine but be carefull when moving it and in any situation where the computer might be jarred severly, pop the HSF off before you move it just to be safe.

thanks for the ideas and the very useful advice about the heatsink Zerileous! I'll keep all this in mind when I finally make my purchase (soon hopefully!). And I'll think about the whole LED wiring trick, I'm not exactly what you would call an "electrition"...;)

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome as well!

Last edited:
Back