• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, I think my CPU is dieing anyhelp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

Ok here is the current situation. I have been playing DoD (HL mod) and NeverWinterNights, and just this past weekend my frame rate has gone to the dogs! Where I was getting steady 85 fps in DoD (its limited by fps_max 85, my refresh rate is 85Hz)
I am now getting only 10~17 fps, it is horrible. I tested the video card (I have a 9600XT) with my old GF3 Ti 200 and the frame rates are equally terrible.

I ran memtest 86 several times and it has passed each time.
I then took out the memory sticks and tried playing with equally bad results (just in case memtest86 didn't see a bad module).

So I think that maybe, I have a bad CPU :( Can anyone help me out? I think that I will swap my CPU into my brother's computer to see if his fps drop in games...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Well..for one thing swapping out ati and nvidia cards isnt good, that prolly means u have driver corruption somewhere. You need to remove all ur videocard drivers and then use the driver cleaner program...I dont remember where to get it but someone will help you with that in a reply im sure. Then install your ati drivers. Also look in task manager and see if anything is using your cpu, (besides folding because it only uses what u dont use). Check your agp settings in the bios as well and make sure u dont have all the eye candy on. Good luck and let me know how it goes.:cool:

It was working fine with the ATi card for a month and half and then all of sudden it went wacko (for lack of a better word)! I made sure to remove the drivers before each re-install... The only other odd thing that I have observed is that using 3dMark2003 my 3dMarks stay about the same as before, however in Aquamark3 I went from 30000ish down to 20356. I have read, but can not confirm, that 3dMark2003 is not as CPU dependent as 3dMark2001 and if that is so, then that would explain why my scores are about the same as before. With this in mind, I have made the suppostion that Aquamark3 is more CPU dependent than 3dMark2003 and that would explain my drop in the scores.

I will try and swap out the CPU tonight with my brother's 1700+ and see where that lands me...

Thanks for the suggestions.

The CPU is not bad... if it were you'd be getting lockups and crashes etc. I would have to put my money on a virus or spyware or some stupid thing. It sounds like something is eating CPU cycles in the background... It could be fragmentation, a full hard drive, a damaged Hard drive... etc.

Back