• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400watts of juice... But is it enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

What i have is whats in my signature, what i will need power for is 2-4 CD drives, 2 hard drives, 6 fans, and a Geforce FX 5950... im not quite sure how far the power supply i have will work for this... im hoping a 400watt will at least cover all of the above minus a CD drive or two. if anyone knows anything about the matter let me know...

Also some ideas on what it would take to power the PC in my signature + 4 CD drives, zip drive, 5 hard drives, 6 LED fans, and the Geforce 5950

Depends on the make of PSU. An Antec 430Watt PSU will eat it for breakfats, ditto a Fortron 400 watt. Picking a good quality PSU helps a bit. Contrariwise, a "hi-watt" 550 watt Psu might be pressed..

i have read and am still reading the post.. i decided to throw out the iCute 400W power supply that came with my case and get an Antec.. i know that what i have as of right now would have more than enough with a 400 watt.

but what im in concern about is how far would it go with a full case.. floppy drive, Zip drive, 4 CD drives, 5 Hard drives, 6 88mm 12v 0.16a and 0.10a Fans, Abit IC7-Max3 (OTES onboard cooling system), not sure of the specs on it but a Geforce FX Ultra 5950 that needs its own 4 pin power connector, 4 PCI cards, and a power hoging P4 3.0ghz HT 800mhz FSB.. anyhow i was thinking about going way overkill with a 550w Antec.. but with the Antec im not losing any quality over the lesser watts right? i dont really know anything about power supplies but trying to get the best i can for my system

if u want THE best for ur system but arent willing to spend too much (like on a true control 550) get the fortron 530w at www.newegg.com that is the mother of all psus (in its price-range), its really nice and gives out a ton of power, u wont regret buying it, also fortron psus are under-rated so for example, the 350w model gives out 454w max, just FYI

i have heard the antecs are under rated on some of thiers, in your opinion which one is the best of those two? when i get the money for it im probably going to get the best of the best which i cant really decide between fortron and antec

the true control 550 and fortron 530w are VERY closely rated, i myself would buy the 530 because its so cheap and it gives out so much power for it's price, the truecontrol 550 is the hgiest antec but its expensive, so i wouldnt buy it

but since the fortron has an extra 4 amps on the +12v line, i would still buy it, the truecontrol 550 just doesnt give out enuff power on 12v, plus its more expensive, those extra 1amps may let u OC a bit more because newer boards derive vcore from the +12v line

i mean, the truecontrol 550 is almost twice the price of the 530w fortron...which would u rather buy?!?

i got another question

how many 4 pin connecters(power plug for CD, hard drive,etc)
are on the True Power555
and the Fortron 530

I am going to need alot of them.. about 11

im not exactly sure but since the fortron 530w gives out so much power, u wouldnt have a problem using y-adapters to split some molexes (just make sure not to split it from ur HDD)

know where i can get some of those in case i need them?

what you mean is make sure the hard drive has its own 4 pin right?

lol one more.. how many 4 pinn do you have with your 350W?

Back