• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this an isolated incident?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ouch...I haven't heard of anything similar. It seems like EVERYTHING you use, straight distilled, any additive, whatever, will eventually destroy you. :rolleyes: Everyone reports problems with something. Not saying this isn't valid...I'm just tired of hearing that everything is bad. :D

That does look pretty nasty though. Is he using normal "rubber" tubes, or something like clearflex or tygon?

I think he's using normal rubber. He updated it. He thinks the Zerex reacted with the Water Wetter left on the tubes...

The real question I have is what Zerex product is he talikng about?

Zerex anti-freeze?
Zerex Super Protector?
Zerex Super Racing Coolant?

Zerex makes lots of additives.

just use some distilled water with antifreeze and you will be fine

i dunno how to emphasize this, but that stuff really works

just look at koolance and cars, you dun see sperm swimming in ur tubes there do ya now?

fafnir said:
just use some distilled water with antifreeze and you will be fine

i dunno how to emphasize this, but that stuff really works

just look at koolance and cars, you dun see sperm swimming in ur tubes there do ya now?

I also dont see automotive tubing in my computer, nor do I see a pond/aquarium pump in my car. In fact, the only thing my comptuer has in common with my car is the heater core.

Im no chemist, but I think there are too many variables involved with this guys rig to be sure what caused what. It could be the mix of plastic/zerex/water weter. His contraption/resivior (see the pic in his thread) could also have added to some sort of reaction.

I use chemical tubing, so I hope the zerex protectant alone will not eat it.

Yeah, good point BigSmokey. I haven't seen anything similar to this, and there are really too many variables to tell. Zerex by itself shouldn't do that, so there must be something else going on.

I know for sure that zerex does stain your tubing... it leaves the tubing a cloudy film.. sort of similar to water wetter but less. Im not too sure why it would eat through rubber....

ILikeMy240sx said:
I know for sure that zerex does stain your tubing... it leaves the tubing a cloudy film.. sort of similar to water wetter but less. Im not too sure why it would eat through rubber....

Its hungry? Just a guess... :)

Hey 240,

When you say "Zerex", do you mean the plain old Zerex anti-freeze? Or another Zerex product? I am using regular old green Zerex anti-freeze.

Zerex leaves a teflon coating on your tubes, is what it does. Yes, he was using Zerex Super Racing Coolant. Antifreeze is fine for most cars, as they aren't really tweaked for performance. With a car you can use half-assed cooling, and it'll work fine, but we're talking about a $100 processor here, not a $15k car! I think antifreeze is used in cars because it's good enough and cheap. You know what else is good enough and cheap? Aircooling!

I like the kids pushing the guy to sue em. I imagine all these products have "intended uses" listed somewhere and "mixing together in a computer cooling system" is not one of them.

BigSmokey said:
I like the kids pushing the guy to sue em. I imagine all these products have "intended uses" listed somewhere and "mixing together in a computer cooling system" is not one of them.

Really I mean it is racing coolant not cpu coolant!

ROFLMAO

They are encouraging sueing because the company sold him the wrong pump. But, the guy didn't care about it for the last 8 months, so I doubt he'll be *******g about it now.

Thanks for the clarification 240.

I have way too much anti-freeze in my system right now (rookie mistake), so I am getting ready to drain and refill my system. I was going to use the same Zerex anti-freeze, so I guess that's what I will do since I am not using the super coolant.

lclark2074 said:
I would like to use teflon base stuff it will cote where you dont want it and slowdown heat transfer onto the water.
tell me if iam wrong

Huh? You would like to use it or wouldnt?

______________________________PTFE__FEP__PFA__ETFE
Thermal Conductivity (Btu.in/h.ft 2.°F)_1.7___1.4__1.3___1.65
_____________________W/m-k_____0.25__0.20__0.19_0.24

That is for Teflon. Anyone know how to read that stuff?

The PTFE ect are different types of teflon...I dont know whats in the additives.

You can see the whole thing here

Last edited:
Everything you wrote there is in Imperial... It's useless! I doubt it would coat the blocks, I think it just sticks to the tubing. If those additives lined the blocks people would've been shouting angry things about them for a long time now.

Back