• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor and Partitions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandrock

Hey, I have the 36GB Raptor and an 80GB Caviar drive. I have my OS installed on the raptor. When I was installing Windows, the setup alerted me it needed to copy some system files to the IDE drive in order to continue, so I created a 1Gb partition. It only used 4mb of that space, but because its a system partition, I cant delete it. Has anyone run across this before and have a good solution?

Yep, thats why I always unplug my PATA drives when I install my OS on my Raptors.

The initial boot is running from the IDE(which MS refers to as system partition). krag has the best way to get around the problem for future loads(disconnect any nonnecessary drives when installing to ensure that the boot sector is where you want it). You could try to disconnect the PATA and boot to the recovery console and FIXBOOT to repair the installation of the boot sector and boot . If you do this, make sure that the PATA IDE interface is removed from the boot order in BIOS. Normally, for booting off of controllers, IDE or SCSI, remove the IDE interfaces from the boot order as a best practice.

I never had this type of problem before. Is this "feature" of having to disconnect other HD's only with the RAPTOR drives?

No, it can do it to conventional PATA IDE as well. Typically, it happens when installing to a drive other than the primary master HDD and can be a complete pain. Windows prefers to place the MBR on that drive, if available. It is useful for dual booting something like Windows 98 while installing the new installation to another drive.

Back