• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GSXR1000

Registered
Hey everybody. Ive been reading here for a while learning what i can. I got a 2500+ A7N8X-E DX 512 corsair 3200pro and a antec 480w true blue. Started playing with a bios a little. I got it running at 2315.3 MHz fsb 210.5 bus speed 421 on stock cooling. Cpu is running at 48 c after a little abuse. havent run prime 95 yet. The multi is set a 11 vcore is 1.8. Is that ok..should i change them? I would like to get some expert opinions before i get really crazy with this. Also what could i try with the memory, right now its at 2 2 3 11. Thanks

First of all,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

With that said, thats a pretty good first overclock if its stable, before you go any further, you should test it on Prime 95 for 24 hours or so. Is your multi locked? If not you can push it even further with the right cooling, otherwise you will have to settle for 11. As far as your voltage, 1.8 should be plenty, you may even be able to bring it down a little so it won't be as hot, just make sure you have enough voltage to keep it stable. 48 degrees is a little high, and if you haven't tested it on Prime 95 (or better yet F@H) its likely to get hotter. More than likely you will want to get some more cooling.

Here is a good thread about the basics of overclocking, it really helped me when I was starting: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

And here is the Heatsink Reviews: http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

Hope this helps and happy overclocking!

Last edited:
thank you for the reply. I tried setting it at 10 and it wouldnt boot..so im guessing its locked. Im gonna let it run prime overnight and see what happens. I also kept my old system for backup and folding. I was gonna try watercooling...but ill probly get a better heatsink and fan for the cpu in the meantime. Just trying to see what i can get out of it with what i have....and learn more about what the settings in the bios do.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

To get some more out of your fsb you can raise your vdimm to 2.8 or 2.9v, but you'll also be raising your proc speed since it's locked, so you may have to increase vcore. On the vcore, try to stay below 2.0v and keep your load (Prime95) temps below 60C. What motherboard you got? I'm guessing NF-7 or A7N8X. Good luck.

I bet you could tighten that memory down to 2,2,3,6 or 2,2,3,7. I dunno how much that helps performance though. Any of the top of the line Copper heatsinks are a good choice, my favorites are the Thermalright SLK800 and 900.

Otherwise welcome aboard!

Back