• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard cleaning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waddle

Registered
I once heard from a friend of mine that you can stick a keyboard into the dishwasher to clean it without harm. Is this true or his he full of crap?

Rip out all of the keys and put it under the shower , then leave it to dry for a few days. Rinse the keys in a bucket.

It's worth remembering if your keyboard is dvorak or not, you might get mixed up if you put the keys on for one type :)

Assuming you don't use a mechanical keyboard, you can take out the circuit board and the actual keypad (little plastic mat the keys register on). I imagine it should be fine.

My last keyboard cleaning simply consisted of popping off all of the keys and then using a cleaning rag and vacuum on the remaining parts. It turned out very nicely, with the keyboard looking like new. No danger of ruining the plastic or components either by putting it in the dishwasher. (there are often silicone parts and other plastic parts that may be damaged by heat, or metal parts that may corrode slightly if not completely dried - why take the chance?)

It was fun putting all of the keys back on and trying to remember where the heck they all came from too. (a very sad commentary on how exciting my life is)

Waddle said:
I once heard from a friend of mine that you can stick a keyboard into the dishwasher to clean it without harm. Is this true or his he full of crap?
he's full of crap

I can tell you that I personally put 3 MB, 3 video cards, NICs, sound cards, power supplies, etc in a dishwasher. All work fine 2 months after doing so. One was the rig in my sig. I did not wash the drives. Smoke damage (house fire) required this action. I can also tell you that my A7N8X-Dlx still had water in the AGP slot when I powered it on. (I didn't know that at the time) It all still works. In fact I fold, play games, and push the OC daily.

Your milage may vary. I just know that it worked out for me.

You can do that but it takes forever to dry. I found the best way is to open up the keyboard and remove the circuit board and put the bottom and top half with the keys in the dishwasher. Also if you don't have a dishwasher, soaking the top and bottom in warm water with liquid auto diswashing soap will work. This also works on any plastic from drive faces to case parts.

These Black Dell USB keyboards can be had
for around $5 on the net. At least that's what I payed for
this one. It has two extra USB outlets on the back which is
perfect for my USB mouse. It's worked flawlessly for over two years now.

At $5 these are almost "disposable". ;)

I buy the $10 keyboards from CC. When they get really bad I throw them in a closet and buy another one. I hate cleaning anything!

thx for the advice, but I think I'll throw my keyboard in thw washer to see if it works AND spend $5 on a new board.

I read, in sci.electronics.repair, that anything washed with water has to be rinsed with distilled water and dried very thoroughly. I'd worry about washing a keyboard containing metal mechanical keys because they sometimes have lubricating oil on them, and some keyboards use a flexible circuit board made of two mylar layers glued together, including IBMs (clicky and newer ones), that seems like it would keep liquids trapped inside for a long time.

I think that the safest thing to use would be 95% pure alcohol or electronics parts spray, but with the latter you have to first test on styrofoam because some will dissolve keys (sure dissolved my mouse).

The part of the keyboard that sticks is the top half with the keys. These are usually all plastic and washing this part in a dishwasher will have no adverse effect on the operation of the keyboard.

I just cleaned mine yesterday, it took a few minutes, I put all the keys in a ziploc and shook them around with a little detergent. Rinsed with tap water. Shook around in a dry towel then let them sit for like 20 mins, and put back together. Works fine, there is a remarkable amount of crap in my keyboard. Longest step was putting the board back together.

Back