• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me spend 900 bux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

i dont really know whats the best things i cud get, i dont mind amd or p4 as long as its VERY FASY

i need :

1.case
2.processor
3.motherboard
4.memmory
5.hard disk
6.video card
7.cd rom
8.floppy drive

thing i came up with myself atm:

1. Super-Flower SF-461BL Blue (400 Watt) $ 110

2. AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB/512KB) bulk $ 117

3. Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 $ 137

4. DDR TwinMos 512MB PC400/PC3200 (CL 2.0) $ 143

5. Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 Harddisk 40 GB ATA133
7200 RPM $ 71

6. Mad View 9600 Pro (8x) 128 Mb DDR/TV/DVI (mem speed 400Mhz) $ 180

7.AOpen 56x CD-Romspeler IDE $28

8. floppy drive samung $12

total price about: $810 while i can spend $930

in this price isnt a fan since i dont know what a good one os, id appriciate if som1 here knows a very good fan that doesnt costs more then 30 bux

you guys might think the price's are a lot, but i live in holland, all the prices were in euro's, its a dutch internet shop, one of the cheapest but still expensive for USA standards, what i did was do the prices x 1.27, since the euro-dollar is 1 = 1.27 atm

hope you guys can help me spend my 900 bux in the best possible way so i get the fastest pc possible, also i want it to be able to overclock VERY well, just put up the 7 points like i did and write behind it the products i should get, alll good as long its under 930 bux all 2gethr

thx a lot

Spend another $25 on that CD-rom and get a burner that can also read DVDs. Get 1gb of ram, and lose the expensive case, cases can be had for $3 brand new on E-bay, mod it to make it nice. MUCH bigger hard drive, preferably SATA.

no i want a nice looking case lol, u didnt rly helped me with that reply lol

A new WD SATA 36.7GB Raptor is a very fast drive, and is ~$125 at NewEgg. It would make your system noticably faster, and it even has a 5 year warrantee.

Edit: Is this Canadian or US dollars?

Edit Edit: Duh, nevermind:eek:

I would agree with the CDROM sentiment that tom10167 gave. What will you be using the computer for? That might help us a little in determining if you actually need a gigabyte of ram or if your 512 will do.

The CPU and motherboard are good choices. Set that Barton to 200MHz FSB and you have yourself a 3200+. It should do well for overclocking.

You may want to double check to see if that hard drive you're getting has an 8MB cache. It will be much faster if it's the 8MB cache instead of the 2MB cache. It would be a worthwhile investment to get the extra cache. Or better yet, an SATA drive as others have suggested.

For coolers, Thermalright usually makes good stuff. Check out your internet shop's selection of Thermalright coolers. Are you going to focus more on how a well cooler cools, or how quiet it is?

georgelogy said:

A new WD SATA 36.7GB Raptor is a very fast drive, and is ~$125 at NewEgg. It would make your system noticably faster, and it even has a 5 year warrantee.
Edit: Is this Canadian or US dollars?

It's Euro dollars, but I believe he converted it to US currency. Likewise... Newegg won't ship internationally.

its for gaming, i want to have the best gaming pc i can get for 900 bux

9600XT instead? It should come with a HL2 coupon or something. Its not too much more expensive too.

Can the mods do something with this post. Cross posting on several forums is annoying.

People, you must read his post, he can't get the US prices.

That said, here is what I would do:
get a 9800/9700 non pro video card. This is absolutely essential for gaming. a 9600XT or pro or whatever will not cut it with it's 4 pipelines.
for a fan, I'll assume you mean heatsink/fan for the processor.
If so I'd pickup an SLK7, or 800, or 900 and an 80mm fan (800 is probably the sweetspot)

If after that upgrade you still ahve euros to spare:
goto 2x256 PC3200 (most cas 2.5 will do 2.0 at it's rated speed).
then upgrade your media drive to a CDRW or CDRW/DVD drive, or plain ol DVD drive...this is really up to you, if you have no need for a burner or DVD drive then stick with a standard CDR.

I'm not sure of prices but upgrading your HDD probably wouldn't cost much and you could double the capactiy for a very small increase in price (atleast in the US). Again you'll know more about your needs than I though, and if 40gb is enough, then it's fine.

I can't stress getting the 9700/9800 enough though, even if that alone puts you to your limit.

Go to newegg.com, their shipping roXXorz and the prices are WAY lower, they are one of, if not THE most loved places to shop online for computer parts...

Barton 2500+ :: $90
Abit NF7-S :: $105
Corsair XMS TwinX (2x256 PC-3200 2-3-3-6) :: $115
Case :: $125 (more than enough IMO)
120gb 7200 RPM HD :: $105 (SATA)
Radeon 9800 Pro :: $960
Floppy Drive :: $8
Lite-On 48x24x48x16 CD-RW / DVD combo :: $50

TOTAL :: $888 + $20 S&H (max)

or;

replace the 9800 Pro ($290) with a 9600 XT ($160) and replace the 2500+ and NF7-S with an Athlon 64 3000+ ($210) and a Asus K8T800 mobo ($137) your total goes up to $910 w/o the $20 S&H (everything but the case is free if you choose the reg. ground deliv. option) and you have a really kickarse machine...

if your "feeling dangerous" spend the extra $60 to get the 3200+ A64, for the extra $60 you get an additional 512kb L2 and a little performance boost...

Back