• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Card Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

I currently have a M-Audio Revo 7.1 with Logitech 4.1 THX Certified Speakers. My computer is my stereo and I am an extreme audiophile, I love music. My setup sounds great now and it has a lot of power, but I am curious if there is anything out there soundcard wise that sounds better then what I currently have. Something that isnt over $300 would be within my range. I am still waiting for some THX 7.1 Speakers to come out (besides the Creative GigaWorks S750), so until then I want to get a better sound card, if one currently exists.

From what I've heard, the Revo is pretty much the best. The Audigy 2 ZS costs about $100, and might be slightly better or slight worse; the differences in quality, however, are negligible at best.

Ya I looked at the card but got the same thoughts as you..To bad there isnt a sound car specifically for music, I could care less if it sounded bad on games, music is the main purpose.

I've been thinking of getting one of those m-audios.
I saw Terratec had an almost identical card available with the VIA envy chip but I havn't heard much about it.
Do you think I should go ahead and buy?

My M-Audio card has been amazing. The utility that m-audio has to customize everything about your speakers and what not, is also great. I wouldnt hesitate to buy this card, its great for the money. Sounds better than any creative card out there right now, I have tried them all.

If you are only interested in the best card for music playing look for the Terratec DMX 6Fire. It gets nothing but solid reviews when playing music and absolutely trounces the audigy2 for music. The card comes with a breakout box (ala the platinum series from creative) and comes with great software for musicians. I would highly reccomend you check into that card.

I like music but I'm not a musician, so I don't need good recording quality.
And my case is full so I don't need a front panel thing.
What I like about the via envy cards is the good SNR and 24/192 playback.
My SB Live 5.1 16/48 so that would be an improvement.
I'd have to get some better speakers though

Back