• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions on Fedora Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linlibj

I am a n00b on Linux playing with Fedora in the past few day.
Two elementary questions.
1. Java Applet doesn't work in internet brower, what's the problem?
2. There is no mp3 player in Fedora itself, what's the best mp3 player which can be run under Fedora?

Something else about the new kernel 2.6.?.? How can I update the kernel?

Thanks for any answers.

What browser are you using? Maybe somebody else can answer your mp3 question. Unless you have a problem that requires upgrading the kernel, I wouldn't suggest you attempt that if you're new to linux. You're likely to end up very frustrated and possibly break your install if you screw up the boot loader. Take some time to get familiar with linux before you embark on kernel compiles.

mmy fav. mp3 p layer, is xmms

you can get the 2.6 kernel set from all over

i suggest the mm-patchset or love-sources

also when i update my kernel i dont even mess with my bootloader i just delete my old kernel binary (prolly not a smart idea lol) and replace it with the new one

so then i dont have to add anew entry to my boot loader, and it saves some time

granted if you screw up, you wouldnt be able to go back and fix it without a liveCD/// re-install of the OS

Currently I am using Konqueror as web browser. Mozillar doesn't work, wheneven I typed in a website in Mozillar, it shut down by itself, any idea?

fiji said:

also when i update my kernel i dont even mess with my bootloader i just delete my old kernel binary (prolly not a smart idea lol) and replace it with the new one

so then i dont have to add anew entry to my boot loader, and it saves some time

One thing I like to do is point the bootloader to a symbolic link to the real kernel image. When you want to update your kernel, just change the sym link. You might also want to keep around an old kernel that's known to work, with its own entry in the bootloader, so that you'll be able to boot the system in case of a kernel problem and change the sym link to a functional kernel.

Fedora Core 1

linlibj:

What I found helps with installing packages is an automatic installer such as "yum" or "apt"

this is just one link, there are many.
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

unlike "doze" you will find yourself reading a bit more when searching for software or installing things. but the efforts are well worth it.

java can be a problem, but it is working on my machine
this is the rpm I used to get it working j2re-1_4_2_01-linux-i586.rpm, you can do a search for it you should find it quick.

xmms-mp3-1.2.8-3.p.i386.rpm is the mp3 file you need to install to have xmms play mp3's, there is an issue with copywriting or something, you can get it at http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html

Hope this helps.

Back