• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can an AMD 300mghz fold?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

I recently built my new computer, and have everything but some motherboard mounting screws and a modem missing from old faithfull! Is a 300Mgz worth setting up for folding?

If it is, would I be better off buying a modem, or trying to network the older computer in with my current one?

I am using dialup, and have a network card on my new computer, but only have one modem that I snagged off the old puter.

E

(oh yeah, very low on cash)

The 300mhz computer will fold fine if it's idle all the time. It would probably be easier to put a $5 nic in it and use your main computer as a gateway. It's easy to do, just go through the ICS wizard and it does everything for you basically.

Definitely network the two together and use ICS. It will make the deadlines if it is left on 24/7 :)

It will work, just really slowly. I would think about setting it up as a Smoothwall box and getting a Hub so you have a network to add more fast folding rigs on to.

He said that he is low on cash, so I don't think he's gonna add any more rigs.

But I agree with the above, network it with the other computer and leave it on day/night.

Can a 233Mhz Pentium Pro 256k on-die l2 cache run as a Smoothwall box? I have one runnig F@H and it seems ok.

Yea, it'l run smoothwall. I just got mine up also. It was a p-pro 180, at 60mhz fsb, but i overclocked it to a 66mhz fsb and changed the multiplier, so its a 233 now. Just gets kinda hot while running F@H, had to install another fan on it. Smoothwall is pretty cool, makes it a lot easier for dial up, and seems a little quicker too, tho its probably not.

Thanks for the help!

I will look into the network card. I think I might can o/c the 300 to about 350 or so, MAYBE. I may also be able to snag an Intel 300 mgz to hook in also. Both of the 300's will be on 24/7 folding only. I just need a cheap PSU (300 watt I think) for my old AMD.
The Intel has everything. What do I need to network 3 computers? Obviously the card for the AMD 300, The Intel 300 has a Nic, What else will I need? Maybe I should post in networking area for this info?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

E

Re: Thanks for the help!

hafaphoto said:
What do I need to network 3 computers? Obviously the card for the AMD 300, The Intel 300 has a Nic, What else will I need? Maybe I should post in networking area for this info?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

E

You'll need a switch. You can find lots of info on networking/ICS, etc in the networking area. I know I've posted step by steps for people before... I'll try to find them.

If you have a spare nic, you could run 2 nics's on the middle computer and add the 3rd computer to the network. As long as getting the extra nic isn't a problem, that's probably the cheapest way to get them all accessing the net.

Thanks!

Straight up, I have had a few beers tonight! Will look in the networking section Thursday! Thanks for the input!

Dang, now I need to learn networking stuff? It is all for a good cause, and I like learning new puter skills!

Have a good one! E

Wish I had one!

I wish my old computer was a 300 mega gig computer! A typo on my part! Sorry!

E

I wish I had a comp at 1 Yottahertz. It is 1 quadrillion times more than 1 Ghz. That is faster than the speeds of all the computers in the world ever made added up together by a very long shot.

Quailane said:
Can a 233Mhz Pentium Pro 256k on-die l2 cache run as a Smoothwall box? I have one runnig F@H and it seems ok.

Smoothwall will run on a 486, a Ppro is very good for smoothwall.

Back