• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get/use memtest86?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipster

I downloaded vers.3.0 and 2.9 and proceded to dbl.click install.bat, I saw a flash but it never prompted me for a floppy? Would like to test memory out? I read somewhere about getting bad memory stick's at times and I also can't boot at 250fsb with 1:1- must be 5:4 so I thought I should learn to test so if I do have a bad stick I could return it promptly.

Last edited:
Get the cd version and burn it is another option
boot to cd
read instructions first, or better yet print them

I made a bootable ,copied over to and rebooted to a:\, then dir/p, the only exe is the rawrite. When I executed it, it asks for image to copy or something like that? I got paranoid and stopped wtf, I wish I knew alittle more, that's about the only dos command I know LOL. Actually though, that's really not funny in fact it's kind of sad:(

3) Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

Yeah, I don't know....I dbl.click on the install.bat file, I see a quick flash of a dos screen and thats it. It never prompts me for nuthin' Strange isn't it, something sooooooooooo simple yet I'm not able to get it to run? Maybe I'll look into the cd-thing. Thanks anyways Grandpa Dan

Umm did you type in the directory of the drive when u click on the install.bat?? a: ??????
t.t that was my problem when i first used it =p

sh*t I just came back to say "I wonder if I'm suppose to click on the install.bat file in dos"? Duuuuuuh! let me try that. Thanks! Boy, you guys probably are going to want to start charging me for your time! LOL No thats not it you can't click in dos?
Update! I'm gettin' there I have to format a floppy ( I thought all these came preformatted ubless I have some other problem going on.

Last edited:
no. did you "extract all" after downloading the zip? go to the extracted folder open it and double click on the .bat file. It will say insert disk into target drive in a small pop up window. after inserting a (formatted) floppy at the prompt type "a:\"(no quotes) then enter. thats it

I don't get a distination window after I execute (dbl click) on the "install.bat" file. There must be something else going on here. I did get further though when I copied the contents of the unzipped folder to a floppy and then booted to the a: prompt. I ran the "install.bat"file and it did ask for a formatted floppy which I then installed but after that I rebooted but the program would not startup as I think it should have. I'll try it again and believe me, I'll get this thing working, I don't know when but I WILL get it going. Patience, Persistance and alot of caffeine!

Well I got it going, I'm using my P3 downstairs. Evidently when I click on the install.bat file thru windows nothing happens-it never asks for a disk so I installed it thru dos and when I executed the install.bat file it then wanted a formatted floppy to make a bootable floppy, which I gave it but it wouldn't boot with a "freshly formatted floppy so this time I just left the floppy that was already in there alone and it wrote the file and it did boot? Strange, now I know why I hate dos and love windows! I still thank Bill Gates for his accomplishments! Anyways, this test is only at about 25-30% so far so I'll let you know how it did but so far so good with no errors yet! Thanks again Grandpa Dan for all your help and I can only hope that you are rewarded someway/someday for all the help you offer to so many people in need of your wisdom! Thanks again

hipster said:
I downloaded vers.3.0 and 2.9 and proceded to dbl.click install.bat, I saw a flash but it never prompted me for a floppy? Would like to test memory out? I read somewhere about getting bad memory stick's at times and I also can't boot at 250fsb with 1:1- must be 5:4 so I thought I should learn to test so if I do have a bad stick I could return it promptly.

I can't believe no one else caught this! :D

You can not run 250fsb 1:1 with PC3200. (check his sig) Maybe if you do a volt mod and run it +3volts.

If you want to run 1:1 on your board as it is now, you need to buy some PC4000 ram.

Re: Re: How to get/use memtest86?

Propilot said:

I can't believe no one else caught this! :D

You can not run 250fsb 1:1 with PC3200. (check his sig) Maybe if you do a volt mod and run it +3volts.

If you want to run 1:1 on your board as it is now, you need to buy some PC4000 ram.
Oh I wasn't aware of that, you see I am what you would classify as a NOOB since I just actuallt started messin' around with overclocking last week when I put this new machine together. I guess I have a longgggggggggggggg way to go and when it comes to memory it's even longgggggggggggggggggggggger! Thanks for bringing that error to my attention though.

Last edited:
Propilot is right your not going to get too far @ 1:1 with PC3200. With that setup you would want some PC3700 @ 5:4 with tight timings or PC4000+ for 1:1

Thanks for the info, but I'm not even sure how far I even wnt to OC this thing. It'll be a 24/7 family pc anyways. I just like being able to mess around a little when I want to. I have a very long way to go before I have a good understanding of these things anyhow but I sure do like the current learning curve right now! I really enjoy reading all the posts & threads as well! Thanks

If you look in my sig, I am using the same ram as you. That is if you are not us the AK ram.

Up the dimm voltage to 2.75v and run it at 2-2-2-5. You can't get any tighter timings than that at 5:4.

That said, I am sending it back and ordering Corsair PC4000.
I want to run it at 245fsb and have tried some at 2.5-3-3-7

Back