• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE to SATA convertor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

i got this piece with my abit board and was wondering if it makes the drive perform better at all? Right now i am just using the normal IDE cables.

I don't know if it makes the drive perform better on a NF7-S with a Serielle 2, but it does make airflow better.

However, on a KD7-S with a Serielle 1 converter, there was no increase or decrease in performance of the drive.

Just install the SATA driver, and put the drive on SATA. It won't decrease performance. If nothing else, you'll get better airflow.

I have had a problem with serial ata convertors, or at least i think, i installed one on my Maxtor ATA133 80GB 8MB to see if it helps at all, reformatted the drive (as it didn't seam to understand the old partition tables which where standard ntfs) and restarted the system, copied some data across to the newly partitioned and formated drive and the copy speed seamed normal (no obvious increase), the next day when i restarted my system the drive didn't respond (and has now offically died).

I had also noticed tht when the system had drives being converted, the system (NF7-S) didn't shut down properly, it would power down and immediately restart again (i had to pull the plug to stop it) after which i had to reset the system (reset button) before starting the system or it wouldn't respond.

Weird!!!!!

Thats all i know about convertors i'm affraid, hope this helps

BigL

I have the IDE to SATA converter on my ATA133 Maxtor 120gig hard drive and I have not had any problems with it. I haven't seen much of a performance increase, but switching to SATA lowers the CPU utilization...

aha! it does help. i must get 2 more of the converters that came with my NF7-S ...wnyone ever tried one one a DVD-R / CDRW ?

If I have extra free time next week (I should) I'll take the converter out of my dad's computer, and try it with my CDRW. I'll let you know how it works.

using an sata adapter on a cd-rw will give you no increase in performance. optical drives are the slowest component in computers today. they run at ata33,wether you put it on a faster bus or not. putting it on an sata line is basically a waste of an sata line. use the adapter on a hd but don't w3aste time using it on an optical drive

Installing a IDE HDD with the SERIELLE2 converter will limit your performance speed up to ATA100.

However, in reality, your performance can improve drastically when doing tasks like ripping CD's or burning CD's. Because you are not sharing and waiting for the IDE bus, data flows faster and easier between the devices.

If you want all around improved performance, then you must get a SATA HDD.

My .02 worth ;)

The thing is, todays HDs hardly get to the ATA100 spec much less the 133, so it doesn't really matter.

Back