• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does a 2.4c with 256k exist??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sucky noob

Yesterday i bought a 2.4c with an IS7-E, and they asked me if i would like to upgrade, for $10 more, to the "512k northwood core".

I wasnt aware a non-Northwood 2.4c existed.

Are they yanking my crank?

Yeah, Northwoods all have a 512k L2. The previous core called Williamette had 256k in its L2 but had problems around 2 ghz, hense the newer core.

yeah, my old box was a williamette, my question is whether or not intel produced a 2.4 with 800fsb and 256k of cache. i thought they didnt, i could easily be wrong, though. im tryin to find out if i got hosed.

sucky noob said:
yeah, my old box was a williamette, my question is whether or not intel produced a 2.4 with 800fsb and 256k of cache. i thought they didnt, i could easily be wrong, though. im tryin to find out if i got hosed.

nope you got hosed, the willy never went above 2GHz and never above 400FSB let alone 800FSB I would contact the BBB on this one PM Sliversinksam he is awsome for this kind of event. He will give you some ammo.

Where or whom did you buy it from?
Please ripem a new one for all of us. People like that need to be taken out back and beat with a hose. :rolleyes:

:p

sounds good, ill kill em all. the site was tufshop.com
ill call them up. thanks for your help guys.

ok heres the final story:

I placed an order last night with www.tufshop.com for a 2.4c with and IS7-E combo. On the order page there was an option to upgrade to the northwood core for $10. i clicked it, almost sure that intel made no williamette 2.4, but not completely sure. so fine. my order came to $266. Some guy with an indian accent calls me this morning and tells me that the particular deal i got was for an OEM motherboard that comes with no box or manuels, etc. he tells me that for $15 dollars extra, i can get the retail version with a 2 year warranty. i said no, cancel my order. he tells he'll speak with his manager and try and give me a discount. The phone gets covered for 10 seconds, he comes back and tells me he'll do the upgrade for $10. I said yes. Later that after noon, i found out, thanks to you guys, that an upgrade option i had selected was complete bull****. Intel makes no 2.4 with 256k cache. so i call back, and try to explain to the guy, who has a thick indian/pakistani accent that i payed an extra $10 dollars for to upgrade a processor that never needed to be upgraded. He tells me to hold and he transfers me. I get another guy with the same accent, explain my story. he tells me to hold while he speaks to his manager. He comes back and tells me he needs to transfer me. so i am put on hold again. Then i explained the story to the next guy. He tells me that, in fact, they are out of stock on the 2.4c and that i can upgrade to the 2.6c. For free, i thought? No, an extra $25. I tell him that i wont pay $25 and he tells me to wait while he consults the "manager". He comes back after like 5 seconds and tells me that he'll do the upgrade for $20. i said thanks but no thanks, cancel the order. done.

Lesson: be wary with Pricewatch.com sellers, this is the second time this has happened to me, and do not ever buy from TUFshop.com. <end rant>

crimony! now all P4 processors and combos have been taken off pricewatch.com.

Is Jesus here already?????

Ow i was hoping that one of you would buy it to see what they sent you. I woud really like to know. Ah well i will never buy from them.

sniff..... sniff... (hangs head in shame)

It looks like i can get the same combo on newegg.com for almost $20 cheaper.

Curse me for not going to newegg.com first, curse me...

sucky noob said:
sniff..... sniff... (hangs head in shame)

It looks like i can get the same combo on newegg.com for almost $20 cheaper.

Curse me for not going to newegg.com first, curse me...

aww grass hopper the learned ways of the overclocker are among you now.

alien76 said:
I think they tried to sell you a 2.4Ghz Celeron!

No, that's only 128k of cache. If that was the case, you could sue their @$$es for fraud. They can't be that dumb if they're selling to the DIY market. Of course, they never DO say what the cache size is on any of the processors I looked at.

Maybe they just take the processor out of the packaging and whack the die of the chip with a hammer until they smash half of the cache?

Last edited:
the whole situation just sucked, they were way shady. The whole "let me talk to the manager" is soooooo "foreign guy tryin to get rich in america". and the fact that he told, after one previous phone conversation, and after i had called him on his bull****ting, that they were in fact out of the 2.4c. lame.

Disclaimer: i am not racist. I meant no offense to immigrants.

I did mean to offend people who practice shady business techniques.

When I was building one of my first rigs, I tried tufshop.com They did the hook and bait routine to me. I ordered a cheap combo 1800+ plus a mobo (K7S5A), which was in stock, and then they called me and said, that the processor was not in stock, only the retail, for 20 dollars more, but I did not want a retail cooler or anything like that. I cancelled the order...

Do you know their website is temporarily "closed" for "maintenance"?

It's sad that people resort to these tactics; underhand ploys are always exposed within a short time.

this could or could not be a coincidence:

last summer i tried to order some memory from some dumb website, i forgot which one it was, just some pricewatch dealer. anyway, i ordered the lowest quality memory. 2 weeks later, the guy calls me up, with the same sorta pakistani/indian accent, and asks me what kind of motherboard i have. First of all, they hadnt even shipped it yet. I told him i had an ecs mobo, and he told me i was going to have to upgrade for like 20 bucks to ensure compatability. ive used ****ty memory on my ecs, i know that it is compatable. I cancelled my order. but it makes me think, maybe these guys have more than one site. I do recall that when i called them up, the guy answered "thank you for calling customer service". he did not identify which site he was working customer service for....

anyway, be wary....

they're out there........

Back