• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pitsi

Registered
This is the first time I am going to build a WC system. So far, I think I'm gonna buy:

Hydor L30 Pump
JR-120 Heatercore
White Water Waterblock
Bay-res
2 x 120mm Fans with shrouds

I want to buy a new case to put all this into. I've been looking at the Antec Super Lanboy. It has a front mounted 120mm fan so I could easily put the heatercore there. The thing is that the case will need some kind of modification to do this and if anybody has this case, I would like his opinion on how easy this would be. Also the case is quite small. Do you think I will have a problem installing my WC setup in this case?

I tried to find another case but with no luck. What I am looking for is:
- aluminium case (not steel)
- front 120mm fan
- not higher than 50cm (19.6")
- side panel window
(looks DOES matter! :))

Antec Super Lanboy is the only case that fits into all of the above specifications (I don't know if I am asking too much) but it is quite small. You can see it below:

SuperLanboy_inside.jpg

Also a question about the L30 pump. I noticed it has the same specs as the Eheim 1250 but it is cheaper and smaller (quite important). Do you think it's a good choice? What about the noise when comparing the L30 and the 1250? As you can understand, if there are no important reasons I would prefer the L30, but if I must, I can get the 1250.

Thanks.

You won't able to fit a push/pull 120MM set-up (which I assume you mean by 2x120MM Fans w/ Shrouds - shrouds for raddy) with shrouds between the front of the case and the motherboard, unless you have the push fan sticking way out the front of the case. You will have to remove the front hard drive bay entirely and mount the hard drives either in an external drive bay or a fabricated location. A single 120MM pull (or push) with shroud should and a JR120 raddy should fit where the hard drive bay is located.

The LANBOY is made of quite thin aluminum, unlike most aluminum cases out there. The hard drive bay is held in place by rivets that must be undone to open the location up for a radiator set-up.

It's a decent case with some potential, especially for air-cooling (two 120mm fans + small internal volume = usually really good air flow). Drawbacks include somewhat flimsy construction and a hard drive bay that causes higher temps then the standard Antec design. If you purchase this case and intend to have an internal water-cooling set-up, then you must plan for quite a few modifications and alot of tight-fitting. Though if someone does manage to pull it off, I would guess it would look quite nice.

Look for some of Valk's posts on his SUPER LAN BOY and water-cooling plans.

Can you take off the HD bay? If you can your WC stuff would fit perfectly in that case.

I tried to find another case but with no luck. What I am looking for is:
- aluminium case (not steel)
- front 120mm fan
- not higher than 50cm (19.6")
- side panel window
what about Global WIN YCC-61F1 (though you'd need to do the window yourself..)
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=161
460 X 240 X 560 mm
so it's longer than the antec, and wider (9.5" - so a rad on its side would be easy) and higher, while still within your taget.
has a removeable motherboard tray too :)

about £65 in the UK (inc VAT) (in black).... almost exactly the same as a superlanboy...

Has anyone had any experience with the Super Lanboy? I would like to know how easy/difficult it is to remove the HDD bay please!

Btw, I've been thinking of getting the P-160 but it costs exactly twice, when compared to the Super Lanboy here where I live, and I would prefer spending that money on my WC setup instead of the case. I believe like someone else suggested, if the HDD bay is removed there is enough space there for the heatercore. Do you think though that a case this small can cause any other problems?

Is it the super lanboy that has removable plate at the back for routing of the lines? I.e. it was designed with an external watercooling box in mind.
Do you really need to have the setup in the case?
Maybe you want to consider external setup.

Back