• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 9600xt...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

POL-tec2002

Ok, I asked my parents if I could order the new video card. I think that I want a new one not a refurb. I was thinking of a Sapphire 9600xt from allstarshop. Also would it help with a oc if i got ram sinks. Also should i get a new gpu cooler? Also what thermal paste would u guys reccomend? I have AS5. Also what 3dmark score should i expect with this card and what type of oc?

I get 4200 with a decent OC, 3800 stock in 3Dmark03.

Mine's OK, but it could be better compared to other 9600XTs.

If you get the black PCB version then it has 2.86ns RAM, but that means virtually nothing as you often can't get one jot past 350MHz. The RAM also runs hot, and the stock cooling kinda sucks. It's hot as in on the verge of taking skin off hot.

I wouldn't recommend the Sapphire offering as I only got HL2 and many other companies have the card for the same price with lots more bundled software. It's also hit and miss whether you get the thermal monitoring with Sapphire.

The core itself OCs extremely well, I got 567 and still pushing on the core with the Sapphire cooler from 500.

I say get the sapphire unless you really want some games that you'll probably play twice and then forget about. It's at least $20 less and performs just as well as the others, and I think that for $180 the other offerings are just too closely priced to the 9800np to be worth getting. I mean at that point, $20 measely dollars gets you a card that may be able to be modded to a 9800pro. And even if it doesn't, its 8 pipes will almost always outperform the 9600's 4.

The only place you can get a 9800np for under $200 is newegg refurbes. Refurbs are great, but its a greater risk for you on the buying end. I personally have had good experiences with them.

Another great option that will easily outperform the 9600xt is the 9700non pro. You can find them starting @ $179.99 on pricewatch. Brand spanking new! 9700pros can be had for $220 new on newegg.

If you need a point of comparision check out Tomshardware's VGA charts part 3. -Linky-

Best of luck :cool:

You can return the card for a short period of time (15 days) if you get it and it doesn't work. However, if you want a longer guarentee, do not do it. It is a risk. Just buy a new card, and keep safe.

Since you don't have money to buy a new card if the one you get fails, buying new is probably your best option.

the 9800np went on sale for $200 at Circuit City a few weeks before christmas. usually those sales tend to repeat themselves, so I'd keep my eyes pealed.

As far as refurbs, most have myself and several of my friends have bought from newegg refurbs with mixed results. One friend got an 8500le refurbed and it works fine. Another got a ti4200 refurbed and he hard to return a few days after he received it because the ram was fried. So you're definitely taking a chance there. I say your much much better off buying things retail, because then you get at least a 1 year warrantee and a whole bunch of goodies too.

For the 9600XT the Powercolor has been shown to be the best overclocker for only $10-15 more (check www.allstarshop.com). I'm up to 580mhz core and still going (stock 500mhz) and 366mhz memory bus (stock 336mhz with Powercolor, 325mhz with everyone else). It's a beast of an overclocker. Unless you get a good deal on the 9800SE, the 9600XT is better candidate for your birthday. The 9800SE is a bit more expensive. Unlikely your parents will be willing to spend that much more, unless they're generous.

mrnuke said:
9800np kicks ***. Almost exactly like the pro and some times can oc a bit better

Its very rare to find one that can OC better than a pro. Generally the memory can't take faster timings near as well as the pro models, so they end up being slower regardless. Its certainly a phenominal card however with a great core.

well, if you can find HIS 9600 XT Turbo version, better get it ! ($185 in my country) the mem speed runs at 650 DDR, but it got Samsung chip that spec runs at 350 MHZ, DDR 700. It comes wit mem heat sink, 3dm 2003 ( 3900 stock ).

Back