• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightmare3215

I'm looking towards getting 4 to 5 case fans with a chieftec case at newegg.com, but I don't know what kind of fans to get from there. I don't want them to be super loud, but I want to overclock my barton 2500 to 3200+ speeds, so I may need some cooling. Will I need an exhaust fan?

I pretty much know next to nothing about heatsinks/fans/heat spreaders so please tell me what to buy for this.

wateva

I'm thinking about getting a

1) Speeze''FalconRock''CPU Cooler for Socket A/370,Model:5F286L1M3,Retail

2) Arctic Silver's NEW Premium High-Density Thermal Compound: Ceramique . 2.5-gram( ~0.8 cc. ) tube.

3) 3x Speeze 80mm DC Case fans,Model:FD08025S1M4.

4) Enermax exhaust blower

Tell me if this is the way to go, and if not, please recommend.

Re: wateva

nightmare3215 said:
I'm thinking about getting a

1) Speeze''FalconRock''CPU Cooler for Socket A/370,Model:5F286L1M3,Retail

2) Arctic Silver's NEW Premium High-Density Thermal Compound: Ceramique . 2.5-gram( ~0.8 cc. ) tube.

3) 3x Speeze 80mm DC Case fans,Model:FD08025S1M4.

4) Enermax exhaust blower

Tell me if this is the way to go, and if not, please recommend.

Can you link these?

I'm don't care for the pci slot exhaust fans because they mount so low in the tower. Exhaust fans should be at the top. 92mm would be better and quieter than 80's and 120mm even quieter. Those fans are rated at 28db which IMO is loud. If you're wanting quiet fans you really get what you pay for. Here is the best prices on cooling stuff I've found.

Hope that helps,
GD

shamelessly evangelizing

one duct is the equivalent of about four case fans when it comes to cooling your CPU.

So if you're short on panel space for fans, or want to avoid noise ... then duct!

A tube between a rear intake and the top of the HSF is an easy way to start ...

if you're not overclocking, you might not even need a CPU fan in that configuration. I didn't have any CPU fan (even with a mediocre heatsink) until I overclocked. That's with the notoriously hot T'bird, too.

the wesson

In your post, did you mean like having an exhaust fan to take the hot air directly out from the hsf to the outside with a duct connecting the two? I would like to know what material to use and where I can buy these (Unless the ducts have to be homemade). Then after I have a duct, should I add 1 extra case fan to get circulation going throughout the rest?

I'd like to spend $30-40 on cooling, basically that covers fan costs, hsf, ducts (If I can buy them), and maybe if I have enough noise suppressors. If someone can tell me whats the absolute best with that range of $ when considering what I want to do, and where to get it, I'd buy it!

So alltogether my questions are
1) What hsf should I get
2) What type of cooling (fans or ducts?)
3) Is anyone familiar with making ducts to be able to teach me? {I will be using an earth green chieftec case w/side window and side fan if that helps.}
4)Can any of these be bought at newegg so that I get everything neatly from 1 company at the same time?
5) Where do I learn how to set this stuff up when I get it?

thanks~!

There's a lot of duct solutions, actually.

I made my first one out of cardboard and duct tape. It worked fine. Being so light, there was no problem with it slipping. The basic plan was one rectangular box for the rear fan, and another box for the CPU, and cutting away where they joined. And lots of duct tape.

The one I have now is a section of flexible aluminum 4" laundry dryer duct from Home Depot. 4" diameter duct can be easily coerced to fit fairly snugly on an 80mm fan. It's light, but then again you have to be careful with aluminum that it doesn't touch exposed mobo electrical components. I wrapped the ends in duct tape to prevent this.

Some people build their own out of plexiglass and plastic glue (from Home Depot again.)

You can buy a prebuilt duct solution with fan adapters and so on for $20 or less. "Badong" makes one.

this page has a couple of ducting solutions:
http://directron.com/systemcoolers.html

How to attach your CPU air to the outside world with a duct?

2 ways:

1) CPU fan in normal position, and a duct from an intake fan to the CPU.

Advantages:
- Guaranteed ambient-temperature air hitting CPU.

Disadvantages:
- An intake fan in the rear can draw in some warm air from PS exhaust. Badong provides a "chimney" to prevent this.
- Case temperature is not helped by this (or hurt.)

2) CPU fan reversed so it pulls air thru heatsink rather than vice versa. Duct joins rear exhaust fan to the CPU/HSF.

Advantages:
- CPU heat dumped in the environment, so your case stays very cool. Good for whatever else in your case needs to stay cool.

Disadvantages:
- The air that the CPU breathes may have been warmed slightly by other components in the case. But this is a small effect. My case temp is less than 3C above ambient (how much less I am not sure.)
- Flipped fan may (or may not) be less efficient than a fan in the other position. You may also have to put in a little spacer so the fan is quiet and works properly upside down. However, the less efficient fan may likely be compensated for by the fact that the motherboard no longer receives hot air on it and therefore your CPU can lose more heat through the socket. (Don't laugh, it's probably a few % through the socket.)

You do not have to have the duct fitting snugly to provide maximum benefit.

Anyhow, a lot of people choose (1) because it's a little easier, but I chose (2) because it's more elegant, preserves the original airflow and is nice for all your other components as well. In my current setup, I have 1 80 mm 2600 RPM Panaflo fan to exhaust (with duct) in back, and 1 80 mm 2600 RPM Panaflo fan in front for intake. Other case ventilation is the PS exhaust and whatever additional push the CPU HSF provides. It's quieter than the k6-2 500 system I donated to my wife.

Fan brands:

A lot of people like Panaflo for a nice quiet fan at reasonable cost. The best case-type fans are probably Papst, but they are more costly.

the wesson

going for it

Getting the sunbeam one because its cheaper, and pretty much looks the same, also I'm not too worried about noise, so I'm going to buy
2 of these fans---> Directron 4 LED 80mm Lighted Case Fan w/optional Flash, 4 Colors, Retail box.

so basically take the fan that's on top of the heatsink and flip it upside down so that it sucks out the hot air (may need changes to work right) from the hs and connect that with the sunbeam?

if so, I'm ready to buy :D

whoa, i think fans usually blow down onto the heatsink, i think most people get lower temps that way, but you ought to try both.

TheWesson said:

2) CPU fan reversed so it pulls air thru heatsink rather than vice versa. Duct joins rear exhaust fan to the CPU/HSF.
Flipped fan may (or may not) be less efficient than a fan in the other position. You may also have to put in a little spacer so the fan is quiet and works properly upside down. However, the less efficient fan may likely be compensated for by the fact that the motherboard no longer receives hot air on it and therefore your CPU can lose more heat through the socket. (Don't laugh, it's probably a few % through the socket.)

You do not have to have the duct fitting snugly to provide maximum benefit.

Cpu fan reversed, right? Thats the fan ontop of the heatsink? When I get everything,I will try both.

*** Well, I'm just gonna get a Thermaltake Highest Performance Smart & Silent VOLCANO 9 Cooler for XP up to 2600+, Socket 370 & Socket 462
--Or do you think I "have" to get a Thermalright slk900a (how much cooler {Cº} would the thermalright be?

Yeah, the fan on top of the CPU's heatsink.

oh just start at the top and get the thermalright, probably you will sooner or later anyhow. be sure you can mount the HS on your mobo before you buy - check mobo compatibility at thermalright.com. you have to buy your own 80+mm fan for it.

easy to reverse the fan on that one, I should think.

otherwise you'll probably more or less get what you pay for. think of spending $20 at least.

vantec aeroflow is also nice, it's what i have. does a good job with not very much noise.

the wesson

edit
PS i don't know the C diff between the heatsinks without knowing your processor. guessing here, I'd say 6+C better with the thermalright vs the tt volcano.

Last edited:
Back