• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with overclocking amd 2500 barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ludenwulf

Registered
Hey everyone. I've been trying to overclock my amd 2500 and have managed to reach 2800 by adjusting the cpu multiplier. But when I try to go over that my system boots up fine. But it won't recongize the new speed? It only reads as a 2500 at 1.82.
Cooling doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm at 32 idle and 38 under load at 2800. I've also adjusted the cpu voltage from stock, 6.50 to 7.00. Here's what I'm running on. Any ideas?

amd 2500 barton
cpu cooling-thermalright alk 900a
ati 9700 pro
audigy 2
1 gig samsung dual channel
aopen ak97d 400vn
300 watt atx psu

Last edited:
don't worry about that it is just reporting the speed not the PR number. Your cooling is good and I think you mean 1.7v not 7v :p.

The PR number is 2500, that's not the actual CPU speed. The actual speed is 1.83GHz. When you change the multiplier, the motherboard thinks that it's a different CPU, so it comes up as a different PR number. But when you change the FSB, the PR number shouldn't change.

So in short, I think you're doing everything right. Just keep going and let us know how high that thing goes.

To amazon. I'm pretty sure I'm not. I just press F10 to save and exit bios, thats all.
To jazztrumpet216. I understand now what PR mean now, thanks. But since I'm changeing the multiplier, it should read the next speed up? 2900? Like I said, even Sandra is showing me thats when clock at that speed I'm acheiving stock 2500 scores.
I've tried raiseing FSB instead but once I reach 185 I start to get strange graphic glitchs in lock on. Even though my agp/pci settings are locked.

Sounds to me like you have one of the newer multiplier locked bartons and when you change the multiplier its not really changing. To overclock this baby youll probably need to up the FSB.

jazztrumpet216 said:
The PR number is 2500, that's not the actual CPU speed. The actual speed is 1.83GHz. When you change the multiplier, the motherboard thinks that it's a different CPU, so it comes up as a different PR number. But when you change the FSB, the PR number shouldn't change.

So in short, I think you're doing everything right. Just keep going and let us know how high that thing goes.

Unless it's differnt with bartons the PR rating does change when you bring up the FSB enough, it is determined by the speed not just hte multiplier (My 1600+'s PR rating is 2200+, no multiplier change).

What speed is your ram rated at? That could be the problem with the graphic glitches.

With the multiplier... that's very odd. It reads your CPU at 1.83GHz when you change the multiplier, and gives you stock scores? It could be multipllier locked, but I'm not sure. I know a locked Intel doesn't even let you change the multiplier, it's shaded out in the BIOS. I'm not sure if that is the same case with a locked AMD as I have never worked with one. When did you get the processor?

@ Crashoverride- I have no idea, you're talking to a predominantly Intel guy. I assume that would be the case though since the actual model processor does not change. I guess the whole ***|u|me thing applies here....

What week is your CPU? It should say on the top side of it somehwere, not exactly sure, everything after (i think this is the right date) 38 week is locked, I thought that someone had found a way around it, not sure though

amazon10x said:
What week is your CPU? It should say on the top side of it somehwere, not exactly sure, everything after (i think this is the right date) 38 week is locked, I thought that someone had found a way around it, not sure though

week 43

jazztrumpet216 said:
What speed is your ram rated at? That could be the problem with the graphic glitches.

With the multiplier... that's very odd. It reads your CPU at 1.83GHz when you change the multiplier, and gives you stock scores? It could be multipllier locked, but I'm not sure. I know a locked Intel doesn't even let you change the multiplier, it's shaded out in the BIOS. I'm not sure if that is the same case with a locked AMD as I have never worked with one. When did you get the processor?

@ Crashoverride- I have no idea, you're talking to a predominantly Intel guy. I assume that would be the case though since the actual model processor does not change. I guess the whole ***|u|me thing applies here....

My ram is running at 2700 with cas-2.0, the rest of the setting are stock. Also it's running in dual channel mode. I suppose it is locked. But if it is, why does it allow me to move the multiplier to 12.5 to reach 2800? I tried putting the multiplier back to 166, (stcok) and then tried raiseing fsb. But I started running into graphic glitches after 170...
But some good news. I put it at 168 and then raised the multiplier to reach 2800. It was stable and was able to reach scores in Sandra that exceded a 2800 :)

sounds like ur rams holding u back try relaxing the timings try 6-3-3-2.5 or 7-3-3-2.5 (just a thought might help u over 166fsb :p) ooh i dont know if that board has a pci lock might wanna asksomeone that might be ur problem too

(v)estra said:
sounds like ur rams holding u back try relaxing the timings try 6-3-3-2.5 or 7-3-3-2.5 (just a thought might help u over 166fsb :p) ooh i dont know if that board has a pci lock might wanna asksomeone that might be ur problem too

Definitely. I think the ram is the bottleneck. If the BIOS has memory voltage control, you might also want to bump that up a notch as well. That PC2700 is rated to run at 166FSB, so when it goes past 170 it's probably hitting it's limit. Sometimes ram goes well over stock, sometimes it doesn't.

Ill give that a try. I found whaen I switched the memory out of dual channel mode the glitches went away. I guess the memory doesn't like it when I move the fsb up in that mode. I'm going to try and see how far I can push the fsb with the multiplier at 12.5,(2800) but still keep things stable. As far as the cpu voltage. I've been told it's unwise to go over 4% over stock. What would be 4% if my voltage starts at 1.65? Four steps? It moves like this, 1.650-1.675-1.700-1.725 and so on.

Last edited:
ludenwulf said:
Ill give that a try. I found whaen I switched the memory out of dual channel mode the glitches went away. I guess the memory doesn't like it when I move the fsb up in that mode. I'm going to try and see how far I can push the fsb with the multiplier at 12.5,(2800) but still keep things stable. As far as the cpu voltage. I've been told it's unwise to go over 4% over stock. What would be 4% if my voltage starts at 1.65? Four steps? It moves like this, 1.650-1.675-1.700-1.725 and so on.

Adding 4% to 1.65 would be 1.716, so it's closest to 1.7V. I would say though that with your SLK-900, you would most likely be safe if you decided to go to 1.725. I wouldn't go a whole lot higher than that personally, but I'm not a risk taker when overclocking.

Back