• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would flashing do for my 9800 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

It's doing good @ 420 core and 380 memory. No artifacts. When I go up any more I get very minimal artifacts (very, very small white dots).

What would flashing my card to an XT do for me? Anything in particular?

Also, is this a good overclock? I just got this thing today and don't know the expected 'good' clocks, etc..

If I should flash, where's a good site that'd help me out in figuring out wtf to do!

Last edited:
Well I'm watercooling w/OGC copper BGA sinks, look at my sig for stats. You are pretty close to me.

No reason to flash a PRO..usually, it's NON-PRO customers flashing to a PRO bios. I don't think there's any reason to flash, especially w/ the nice overclock:)

The only thing that will change if you flash to an XT is the clockspeed (it defaults to 412/730), and the computer will regocnize your card as an XT. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Well I got a 9800pro that OC's to 400/366. Would flashing it make it easier to OC more? I know its not the best OC but I need something to play with here, was hoping to get more out of it and besides got a 120mm fan blowing on the bottom of the card also to cool it. No water cooling here.

Flashing will not help you overclock anymore than you alread have. The only thing an XT flash will do for a 9800 Pro would be increasing timings on both core and mem. It's not like the NP tp Pro flash, which loosens the memory timings and supposidely supplies a bit more vlotage. If your card isn't stable at XT speeds, then doing the flash could cause some serious instability problems. Just clock your Pro up to XT speeds.

Since no one said this, I'll add it. Flashing to the XT BIOS will also give you Overdrive, which changes your clockspeed based on the temperature of the card. I don't know how useful that really is to us overclockers, but I just thought I would mention it.

Hmm, interesting.

Are you sure overdrive would work on a 9800 Pro? I wasn't aware that they had a temp diode on them.

So, in short, flashing to a 9800XT bios would at best just relax my memory timings a small amount, allowing me to overclock them a minimal amount of mhz higher than they are right now.

I think I might just leave it the way it is. Better safe than sorry.

Overdrive won't work on a PRO, it has no temp monitering system....

Also, I've heard from many XT owners that they use a regular overclocking utlility instead of overdrive......

Hmm...

I wonder if I flashed the XT BIOS on my new Sapphire 9800PRO 256Mb build on an XT pcb... if the temp probe would then work... and perhaps the overdrive as well...

Any thoughts, anyone?

Interesting... I don't think you can enable hardware monitoring since all 9800 pros are r350 and they lack the thermal diode found on the r360. I also do not recomend a XT flash on 128mb 9800 pros.

If your card has Samsung RAM, forget flashing at all. Even if it has hynix, I'd not recommend it. Lots of people have reported many problems, with only minimal gains.

Back