• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not quite hitting my mark with my Barton 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazr

Registered
Built a new computer, have an Abit NF7-S, 2500+, and pc 3200 xms corsair RAM. Right now I have it running at 2035 mhz, (11x185), but if I bring it above that my games start getting error reports, and if I try to do 200 fsb like I should be able to, windows just restarts when it's booting.

Do I have to up the vcore? I have it on stock right now. I also have an SLK-800U, and a Smart Fan 2 so cooling shouldn't be the problem.

Try raising it a few notches and see if it will help. Also, is your NF7-S the 2.0 revision? If not, it may have problems getting to 200 FSB.

I'm not sure, I bought it off of Newegg around October. How can I tell?
By the way, MBM5 says it's 1.62v, how high should I raise it? Never messed around with the voltage on my computer, don't want to risk frying it.

kazr said:
I'm not sure, I bought it off of Newegg around October. How can I tell?
By the way, MBM5 says it's 1.62v, how high should I raise it? Never messed around with the voltage on my computer, don't want to risk frying it.

If you lower the multiplier, can you increase your FSB any? Most newer 2500+ Bartons seem to hit 2.2 to 2.3 with default voltage, from what I have read. I do not need to raise my voltage from its default of 1.65 volts until I get to 2.4+GHz. My Barton seems to hit its OC wall of ~2.38Ghz at stock voltage, then I have to start jumping the voltage up. As long as your cooling is all right, you should be okay with 1.7 to 1.75volts. Given that, I think you may have a revision 1 board and your FSB is what is holding your Barton back. Lower your multiplier, and try raising the FSB. If you still cannot get the FSB to 200, then set it back to 166 (333 DDR) and try raising the multiplier. This way you will be able to tell if it is your FSB holding you back (memory/motherboard), or rather your processor. Once you find out what is holding your OC back, try raising that component's voltage up a little to see if it helps with stability.

Every single cpu and mobo is different. Some can go higher without increasing the Vcore. I will suggest you to get an after market heatsink before you push your CPU further. You may burn that chip.

Kenshiro said:
Every single cpu and mobo is different. Some can go higher without increasing the Vcore. I will suggest you to get an after market heatsink before you push your CPU further. You may burn that chip.

They are running an after-market heatsink (SLK-800U from their posting) which is more than enough to handle bumping the voltage up a little to see if that helps with stabililty.

sounds like a voltage problem to me.

whats hte stepping on your chip? i had a hard time trying to bring my older barton AQXDA up to 200fsb.

The weird thing is when I had my pc2100 ram in I could hit 11x200, but my computer would restart after about 20 minutes of playing so I always just thought it was my ram.

I think my stepping is AQX something, haven't checked since I got it. I'll try raising my multiplier right now.

13.5x166, windows restarted. 13x166 my game gets an error report before loading. Grrr, this sucks.

Last edited:
AQX doesn't help much, if you could give us the full stepping and manufacturing date (just after the AQX** part) we could tell if it might be the chip or not.
You should try lower multiplier and higher FSB and see what happens.
It could also be your power supply. What is it rated at and what brand?

My steppings are AQXEA (0331VPMW). My power supply is a 15 dollar one that came with my case, 450W made by Hercules.

well if you got MBM5 and put CPU under full load using Prime95, and write down the voltages it showed, we could see if it was the PSU or CPU. I heard something around here that there were some people getting duds and they were of the same stepping + date that you have. Unless its the PSU I don't think there's anything else you could really blame except the chip :(

Okay, I'll do that tomorow. How can I tell if I have a revision 2 nf7-s?

And do you think it could possibley be my RAM since my pc2100 would actually be able to start up at 11x200?

I'll try putting in my old Powersupply and seeing if that works, then try my old memory.
Thanks a lot for the help you guys :)

Last edited:
kazr said:
Okay, I'll do that tomorow. How can I tell if I have a revision 2 nf7-s?

Look for a rectangular white sticker near the PCI slots, it will say what revision board you got, also another way of IDing it is if u have 2 LEDs on the right bottom. For more info go to the Abit AMD mobo section and look at the stickies!

my chip (specs below) has a hard time hitting higher clock speeds without me adding lots of voltage I can't even hit 2.4ghz 11x218 without hitting it with 2v+ vcore...also if someone can help I have been told anything over 1.9v vcore is not good for the processor and shortens the life? is this true? my voltages stay at about 41c idle at 2v vcore I assumed if the temps were good it didn't do any harm?

kazr said:

And do you think it could possibley be my RAM since my pc2100 would actually be able to start up at 11x200?

have you tried loosening the timings on your ram? or maybe set it to optimal or aggressive just to see if it will boot?

Okay, I tried using my other 15 dollar PSU I got off of ebay, same thing happened at 11x200. I tried putting in my other RAM, and my computer just beeped so I didn't fiddle with that.

Then I put my old PSU in, didn't turn the clock down, and now my computer is running at 11x200. How weird.
Thanks again for the help, if anything goes wrong or my computer locks up again I'll post back.

Blah nevermind, computer is still extremely unstable. Can someone suggest a good powersupply?

Back