• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to build laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Rotory

Disabled
I've seen batteries, hard drives, cd roms/rw/dvd, floppies, cpu's all for laptops, however I cannot find screens or cases or touch pads or keyboards or motherboards or videocards? Is it possible and if so were would i look for the products? as in a selection. I've heard about it somewhere, I dont remember where, but I want to build a completly customer laptop, like my computer.

Not likely. In most cases certain parts are made to spec for each manufacturer. Drives, CDs and CPUs etc. are more or less made to an industry standard, but as for a case, LCD and the like, what you could get from other or old laptops present compatiblity difficulties, and by the time you are done, you might not have what could be called a laptop.

the problem is 2 fold

1) is every laptop is more or less a custome job ( every model)

each company twists and bends its motherboards and other parts to fit there case in a diffrent way

2) is a off shoot of problem 1 is that there is very little standerdization ( sp that) for laptops

sure there is for connectors like pcmcia and usb and other stuff but in the laptop its like the wild west

its not like desktops where a atx power supply willl work with mostly all atx compatable motherboards

so to answer your question yes you can build one

but youll need to sell your house and take out a few loans to make it happen

ECS also makes desknotes- which are not laptops in the strictest sense because they use desktop CPU's and ram and have an external battery instead of an internal battery.

I built an A929 desknote. It has a 14" screen, and XP 2400+, 512mb PC2100, and a 20GB hard drive. LAN, modem, graphics, and sound are all onboard, and there are no PCMCIA slots.

It's pretty slick and overclocks up to 150FSB. They make a P4 version that is similar. The barebones kits usually go for about $575 or so. I got mine refurb with the ram for $299.

Since it sits on my desk most of the time I don't fret having an external battery (which has a pretty darn good life to it). And its pimp to have a notebook I put together that can overclock and that runs linux just fine.

Wireless options are limited, but I think they make external usb wireless NICs. I'm wired anyway so it doesn't matter to me. It does have 4x USB2 ports and a firewire port as well as S-video tv-out and a crt-out. The graphics are SIS and share system ram so they're about as good as a GF2mx200.

Last edited:
If you are looking to save money by building your own laptop then you might want to look in to a sager laptop, they I believe they are made by the same people that make dell and alienware lappys. You can get them at http://pctorque.com/ a few members have them here and they love them.

Back