• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a REALLY REALLY wierd problem with my A64 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shift_

So my A64 decided not to post one day.

I'm using a Athlon 64 3000+ and a Gigabyte kV8t800 Pro motherboard, alot of other stuff and a 550W Enermax powersupply.

The ONLY way I can get this machine to post is to switch the powersupply to 230V turn it on, it'll turn on for 5 seconds than powerdown. Then I switch the PS back to 115 V and turn it on and it'll post.

I can shut it down and turn it off, and turn it back on as MUCH as I want to, as long as I don't turn off the powersupply or unplug the power. If I do remove power to the powersupply I have to use the aboved mentioned technique to get it to post.

IMO I don't trust a board that NEEDS to have that done to post. what do you guys think? If I RMA it it'll take 6-8 weeks...BUT I won't beable to stay w/o my OWN computer for that long.

(I ordered these parts off NICX.com) If I have to wait that long I'd be buying a P4 2.6C and a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo...which I DON'T want to do because money is tight...what do you guys
think? I've tried EVERYTHING and more probally.

This includes changing memory, Powersupplies, and shoving everything onto another board and stuff. Unfortuantly A64s arn't available locally yet, so this was a NCIX.com order for my A64. Like I've said we've TRIED everything, it was a total fluke that I even switched it to 220V.

Last edited:
That sounds like a power supply problem to me, not the board. Do you have another supply handy that you could at least try on a temporary basis?

sorry to hear that i hate probs.
with a new rig,
should have went to newegg they have a fast RMA service

It's def NOT a powersupply issue, I have like 5 at my house, I've also bought the NEW enermax.

been back and forth to a local computer store, tried SWAPPING out everything.

Unfortuantly A64s haven't hit any local shops in my area hence the reason I ordered off NCIX. Newegg is american, and border tax hurts alot.

I've even put in my old Antec 431W powersupply, unplugging EVERYTHING but my floppy and primary harddrive and it won't post. Only fans turn on.

This is probably a retarded comment, but have you tried taking ur CMOS battery out for like 15 seconds then putting it back in and attempting POST?

Try clearing the Cmos, check that the CPU fan cable is pluged in(some MOBO have a protection is if it is not plugged in) try with another cpu if possible. i suspect is either the MOBO or the cpu

Try replacing you BIOS battery. If that doesn't do anything, I'd just RMA the board. I'm not sure about Gigabyte, but most manufacturers will cross ship, so you're never without a board. Problem solved.:)

Back