• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home made dust filter with panyhose, best way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atconc

Registered
What's the best way to make a homemade dust filter for my intake fan using some old pantyhose?

that is aparently the best solution, using pantyhose in theory filters out dust without restricting air flow too much. I recently did a test with my own rig and discovered that a pair of tights was almost as efficient as my purchased dust filters. Made me really regret buying my extra filters....
i wouldnt shell out unless you have money to waste. Hope this helps

Vrykyl

thanks, I'm just wondering how I might go about keeping it in place?

To keep it in place i would just screw it on along with the fan so the screws are keeping that pantyhose on.

simple as that.

i cut mine into squares a little larger than my fans and just used the fan clips on my xaser to hold them in. If your screwing them on with the fans be very careful that your fans arent so powerful in their intake that they tear the pantyhose off through the screws and suck them in...as happened on my first test. It shorted the fan and everything sharing that psu cable!!!!

atconc said:
thanks, I'm just wondering how I might go about keeping it in place?

If you superglue the panty hose around the fans casing it will hold it extremely well, I suggest you stretch it well and superglue. If you mess up or want to remove the panty hose later, Nail polish remover will remove superglue.

If you have an old fan filter with the medium no good, use the frame and superglue the panty hose to the old filter

So anyhow I'm cruisin' the forums when Sam starts talking about his experiences with pantyhose and nail polish remover and so I thinks to myself...... :p

eobard said:
So anyhow I'm cruisin' the forums when Sam starts talking about his experiences with pantyhose and nail polish remover and so I thinks to myself...... :p

lol ;)

I've got it in place, i used a couple of very small pieces of sticky tape to hold the square in place and then screwed the fan screws through it. I put the filter on the inside of the fan for 2 reasons, firstly so that i wouldn't have the prob Vrykyl had with the pantihose getting sucked into the fan and secondly cos it's a blue neon that shines out the front of the case so I didn't want to cover it.

It's made the fan look cooler too as the illumation is now set against a black background :)

eobard said:

Tell me about it, When I was at the supermarket buying the Panty hose last time I made sure the grocery boy bagged it up quickly. I also looked over my shoulder before I placed it in my grocery card, then I put a 20 pound bag of cat food on top of it, concealing it. :)

Silversinksam said:

Tell me about it, When I was at the supermarket buying the Panty hose last time I made sure the grocery boy bagged it up quickly. I also looked over my shoulder before I placed it in my grocery card, then I put a 20 pound bag of cat food on top of it, concealing it. :)

LOL

Should be in the pickup line thread... "excuse me honey, I need your panyhose... can you please take it off for me... so my computer doesn't get dusty...."

great

Pantyhose, sounds very innovative, makes me wonder who thought of it at first?

Well, if it works so well, I'm going to try it too!! :D

<------I'll be using her pantyhose; jk :cool:

Back