• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Performance - help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newkie

Registered
I just recently purchased a p4 2.6c with value DDR3200 RAM from newegg. I started learning as I was purchasing and realized that I really blew it memory-wise.

I was able to acheive fsb 235mhz at 1:1 and a 1.6v core. I could go higher at 5:4 but was having instabilities and haven't taken the time to systemmatically test it.

Today I found out I could still return my memory and I opted to exchange for OCZ Performance 4000 Dual Channel 512mb. I don' t know if dual channel is better than purchasing single sticks, I guess they are matched. Anyhow, it cost quite a bit more but I am hoping that I should be able to acheive at least 250fsb at 1:1.

I don't fully understand the advantage/disadvantage of memory timing vs fsb (meaning is it better to keep 1:1 and a lower fsb or the other way around). I also don't know the difference between premeir, enhanced latency, performance, and gold offering from OCZ.

Did I do good?

Thanks, weird that the EL cost less than the performance. I thought it was premier -> EL -> performance -> gold

I'll check out that article

Wow, you guys are quick!

I meant to add to my last post just asking if I went overboard for the overclock I'm trying to accomplish (around 250fsb). I don't pretent to understand everything else involved just yet. I just hope I didn't waste money on PC4000 DDRs when something slower would have done as well or better.

That article confused me a little regarding tight timings, I don't undertsand timings yet but I will read up on the stickys here tomorrow. Hopefully the new chips will perform well

If you are concerned with not being able to hit 250 FSB, you should know that at OCZ we guarantee our product and stand behind each module we sell 100%. If you have any technical questions, feel free to IM or PM me.

-Sean

i merely meant that there is alot of consideration in deciding when to run 5/4 or 1-1. an example would be a highly overclockable cpu that maybe runs a 295 fsb. some guys wanting to run a couple of good sticks of bh5 may have probs getting that high at 2-2-2-5, and are uncomfortable hitting it with 3.3-3.4v to make it wind up. so they have to bump it down and lose not only mem+fsb speed but also cpu speed. now dont get me wrong, fast timings are desirable as evidenced by the majority of the guys who use bh5 or equivalent, but there's alot to be said for high fsb and memory at 1-1 at any timings. checkout the sandra bw test i did for this fella at 5/4 200 2-3-3-5(thats as low as my memory will take), and at 1-1 250 3-3-3-8. as u see it actually outperforms the lower latency - on sandra. now given that doesnt convince me that just because this test gave me better scores that it is a blanket statement that 1-1 is better. it just shows that tight timings isnt the only consideration when matching up a motherboard with memory and cpu..
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259352

If you are concerned with not being able to hit 250 FSB, you should know that at OCZ we guarantee our product and stand behind each module we sell 100%. If you have any technical questions, feel free to IM or PM me.

Your on 'bubba'...... :)

Been seeing your sig around town, not to be cruel or evil... I decided to put some money where your 'speech' is.......

So far, I'm very suprisingly impressed. Most I could get outta this board was 220fsb using Corsair of various (XMS3500c2, XMS4000pro) high end modules.

As I'm running on air w/Zalman 7000cu/as5, 110cfm feed fan.... It won't be hard to find my limits, I'll let you know (hehehe).
And ya I do know I have a 'dreaded' 3.0, but that IS how you'll be judged :):):)

Good stuff so far :) I'm VERY happy ;)

Okay, reread that article again... thanks that helps a lot. So it looks like a timing vs. bandwidth thing. And I guess I went with bandwidth by going for PC4000s. But looking at that article it seemed to suggest that bandwidth is great when performing operations like in photoshop or compiling a db. For me I mainly use my computer for programming and mastering DVDs, so hopefully I chose rightly. In any case, I wonder if I can tighten the timings a bit while still raising the fsb (at the moment I believe I'm limited to 235 by my value PC3200)? Also, regarding the voltage I assume you would up this to gain stability but how far past the mfg max can you go (aka mine state 2.75v).

Thanks!

Back