• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newer version of tornado?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

i have an 80mm vantec tornado fan on my thermalright slk-800 and the rest of the stats are below...

the issue isn't with the fan pushing air, but rather the noise ;) it's a sweet fan, served me well, been much cooler all winter as opposed to super hot temps in the summer and so on...

but since it is loud and I like to leave my computer on a lot, was looking for some sort of quiet alternative but pushes somewhat to the same amount of air as the tornado...

i've been out of keeping track of all modding and up-to-the-second computer stuff, and so i don't really know what's come out recently since early 2003... is there any quieter fans that push close to the same air as the tornado, or is that still the reigning champion? thnx

I have a vantec nexus front 5.25" fan control with the 4 knobs, tornado hooked up and working on one of them, but the issue is that my computer is really really hot at the highest fan speed, so it has to be that fast or it'll get too hot... :(

Buddha1822 said:
I have a vantec nexus front 5.25" fan control with the 4 knobs, tornado hooked up and working on one of them, but the issue is that my computer is really really hot at the highest fan speed, so it has to be that fast or it'll get too hot... :(

Sounds like bad case ventilation.

i had a tornado and it was LOUD so i swapped it out for a thermal take
smart fan II and there wasn't a big diff. in temps

anvil82 said:

Sounds like bad case ventilation.

nah... :D I am pretty sure it is because i am not the best overclocker, and since I am currently safely at 600mhz over the original speed, that i didn't do it perfectly... and the slk could be reseated with some new AS-5 and what not but whatever. and on top of that it does have bad ventilation... my room is generally quite hot in the summer, and I've got 4 fans in, 2 out, and then one 120mm psu fan out and a extra tornado out if i need to use it but I never do... so it is partially the hot air coming in and not enuf fans coming out (but I can't ad any out fans) and son... yeh

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003121602201963&item=16-1216&catname=electric

that right there is more effective and much much quieter than a tornado. the only prob is in mounting it.

i just got mine in the mail today, and in trying to mount it i found the air comes out at an angle. im gonna mount it on my side panel and duct it to my cpu, but im gonna build a mount myself that will hold two of them. the angle im mounting them at so that the air goes straight down is such that i can put two right together (im gonna order another one).

You arn't gonna get the same CFM with a quiter fan that is the same size, a 120mm could do it quiter but it's hard to effectivly duct it, cstarritt's blowre would be great if you don't mind that thing hanging off the side of your case.

If you have a fan controller you should really just find a resonable speed for it, if it runs hot and you arn't doing mad ocing (ie your temps are unresonable for what you are doing, what are they?) I would guess case cooling, try taking off your side panel and see if your temps drop at all. If they do you need better or better placed fans in your case or clear up the path for air.

my temps in the hot summer were about ~51 normal and would go up to 56 or so (depending) when there was cpu usage...
my temps in the cold winter were about ~44 and would go up to 48-50 or so when there was cpu usage...
now it is around 48-50 and jumps to ~52 when cpu usage, so now its worse (cuz it is still cold winter)... thats my temps :(

Any way you go about it that is pretty hot, I would try taking your case side off and see if that helps at all, or clear out some wires and maybe re-do were you fans are and stuff.

i did the same thing, i had a tornado and... well..... i really like to beable to think while i use my computer so after about 3 months i took it out and put in some cheap stock 80mm fan that came with my pc-70. the temp only went up about 2 or 3 deg and it was almost silent. i would try that first... if your temp doesnt climb to much just go with a reg 80mm. your temps seem very high, are you sure you have the HS mounted properly?

You know Asus boards have been known for their tempuratures being way off in the past... they could be just a lil higher than reality also... But I woudn't count on that unless it's perfectly stable.

Back