• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried this with a mini-fridge water chiller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

Okay, so I had a thought. I have a mini-fridge sitting around. I have been reading the forums for years and know that mini-fridges do not make the best chillers since they are not meant to be on all the time, but...

What if you gutted out all of the components, compressor, cold plate (that is what I call it), and especially the coils that are wrapped up inside the insulation of the mini-fridge. Then instead of just dipping the cold plate (part that gets cold) into a water container and chilling the water you also put the "hot" coils into a fairly large radiator/water cooled loop all by its self? Has any one tried it?

I am about to try it and was wondering if anyone else has.

Compressor.jpg

do you water cool if yes make chiller for you get a coler that you dont want to drink from in the fewecher make shure that the coler ie bigger than refrigration plate put in the coler put 25% antifreese 75% water pumpit to the computer
---------------------------------------------------
even beter here a link to
direct dye

skahtul said:
Okay, so I had a thought. I have a mini-fridge sitting around. I have been reading the forums for years and know that mini-fridges do not make the best chillers since they are not meant to be on all the time, but...

What if you gutted out all of the components, compressor, cold plate (that is what I call it), and especially the coils that are wrapped up inside the insulation of the mini-fridge. Then instead of just dipping the cold plate (part that gets cold) into a water container and chilling the water you also put the "hot" coils into a fairly large radiator/water cooled loop all by its self? Has any one tried it?

I am about to try it and was wondering if anyone else has.

Compressor.jpg

do you know of a site on how to make that mini-fridge water chiller? i am interested in making one

So how has the system been performing? That is basically what I am going to do, but I tore all the internals out of the fridge and will cool the coils in addition to the CPU.

How has condensation been for you? (This is the part that really makes me afraid; I can't afford to lose the stuff in my sig). Looks like you did a good job of sealing up everything.

I saw a really cool part the other day on an HVAC site. It's a condensor specifically built for water cooling. It accepts 5/8 inch tubing, and would be awesome for a project like this. But you would have to cut into the phase-change system which can be a daunting task. I'll try to dig up a link later. It would definetly go well with a bong.

skahtul said:
So how has the system been performing? That is basically what I am going to do, but I tore all the internals out of the fridge and will cool the coils in addition to the CPU.

How has condensation been for you? (This is the part that really makes me afraid; I can't afford to lose the stuff in my sig). Looks like you did a good job of sealing up everything.

My temps went down to 19C at load when i got more of the evaporator into the res. I no long have the chiller up and running since it made my room extremely stuffy and the performance for me wasnt worth it.

Condensation was always on my mind but after about 3 weeks i slowly forgot about it. Just dont do it half assed and your good. I trust my work and i put A LOT of time into it, taking extra steps so i wouldnt have any. I would definetly recommend plumbers tape to seal the creses.

lclark2074 said:
Do you have water cooling stuff or you goin to by them now.

Half and Half. I already have a large Truck Heater Core from another project along with the pumps. The truck core will be used to cool the coils. I have a Maze 3 that will be used for the block. I will probably not keep it up and running for a long time though, I think the power bill will go up to much for me. And as Lazlo Panaflex pointed out, a lot of hot air gets pumped into the room. I may convert the water chiller to direct die also just to try it out. I have been cooling with water for years, now I just want to see what some lower temps feel like :D

Ok for a chiller you woint nead a heater core put the evaprator in a cooler and put antifrese and water into it. Less conversions better. that link i gave you is good he made two of them one of them also had a GPU in it.

Back