• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600PRO or 9600XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odin8yoshi

Im having trouble deciding between the 9600PRO or XT, on s comp im building for a friend. The difference in price is 30$, and im not sure how much more performance he will get from the XT. He gave me 500 bucks to spend on it and whatevers left is mine, so..:rolleyes:

P.S They're both OEM, where can i find cheap heatsinks/fans for them (because ive allllllmost hit the price limit).

EDIT: Okay...im down to $156.5, so i need a good video card for under that, and that includes shipping/cooling...h doesnt plan to overclock though so do i need a fan/heatsink?

EDIT2: The budget for the video card is now $187.5, and thats still with shipping /cooling. Thanks for the reply shark, ill look at the refurbs.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking at the NewEgg Refurbs. You should be able to get a 9600Pro for around $100. I paid $99 for my Sapphire Atlantis 9600Pro. I just checked and although they are out now. The Refurbs had the Sapphire Pro for $99 and an XT for $118.50.

Edit:
This should actually have been placed in the Ati section ;)

You can find 9700 p's and np's, as well as 9800np's in newegg refurb section for udner 187. That would be the best. But if you want to pocket some cash, get a 9600P from newegg refurbs for 110 or less. I don't believe the XT is worth the price difference as well, but that's just me.

The 9600XT is actually slower in some games when compare to the 9600 pro, even when it has a boost in the core frequency. I won't go for the XT. Stick to the pro, because it is also capable of DX9 games.

I would pick the pro simply becuase I don't think the price difference is justified.

Kenshiro said:
The 9600XT is actually slower in some games when compare to the 9600 pro, even when it has a boost in the core frequency. I won't go for the XT. Stick to the pro, because it is also capable of DX9 games.

LOL

It's exactly the same core logic and memory bus width as a R9600PRO and yet you claim it is slower? Even when the core is clocked 100MHz higher?

The 9600XT is faster than the pro, and that's a fact.

What happened to the rest of the $500 he gave you. For that he could of gotten a 9800pro? Did you keep $300 for yourself and leave him with less than half of what he gave you? Are you pulling the wool over this guys eyes?

With $187 get a 9600 pro or 9600 xt.

Yes, i ment the whole system for 500$, LOL. I said hes a friend i wouldnt do that to him. I didnt think the XT was worth the price difference either, im leaning towards a 9600PRO from the newegg refurbs now, but i dont know if he wants a refurbished card, so ill haveto talk with him about that. Mabey i can get a 9700 from the refurbs though, it would last him a good bit longer then the 9600 right? do to having 8 pipelines compared to 4. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

P.S If someone wants to recomend a nVidia card that would be fine too, if it has a better price/value then the 9600pro.

Kenshiro said:

Huh?

The XT is 100mhz faster than the pro. It is much slower than a 9700 or 9800, but if you want to make any profit off of this, then Id get the xt, and keep the hl2 coupon for yourself. I think that'd be more valuable than the $30 you'd get if you got a pro, but that's just me. Maybe you aren't planning on getting HL2. Anyway the performance difference between the two cards is for all practical purposes indescernable. Your friend will be perfectly happy with either of the 9600s. Trust me, it's a good card.

I wasnt doubting that the 9600 wasnt a good card at all. Thanks for all the replies everyone....i finally had it all picked out and them BAM he decides to buy a prebuilt one!! :mad: oh well, i shouldve exptected that, been a baaaaad week -.-

Back