• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Settings for OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Page_1979

Registered
Hello all,

I'n new to OC'ing but would like to give it a try. Here are my specs:

MB = Asus A7S333 BIOS 1006
CPU = Athlon XP 1800+ 1.533GHz Palomino
RAM = 512MB DDR333 PC2700
VID = Abit Siluro 128MB GF4 Ti4200 Nvidia
PS = 300W Startech

Can anyone tell me what settings I can safely modify in the BIOS to OC my cpu & FSB using only the stock HSF from AMD. I've also got a rear case fan drawing out and a front case fan drawing in. PS has one fan as does the vid card. I believe the current BIOS settings are as follows:

Multiplier = 11.5x133
FSB = 133
VCore = 1.75V

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

A7S?

Is that the SiS chipset? If so then you have a PCI/AGP lock. Set this to 33/66MHz and leave it there. You can overclock by bumping up the FSB, but you may not get very far - the Palomino core pretty much sucks for overclocking compared to Tbred Bs. ESPECIALLY WITH AMD STOCK COOLING, which is pretty much a paperweight.

Also your PSU may not be up to the job, especially with that video card and 512 of RAM. Cheap noname PSUs can kill components.

Yes, A7S333, it's no longer available. Similar to the A7V333. The chipset is SIS 745. Thanks for the info L337 M33P! I'll give it a shot. I'm planning on upgrading to a 400W Antec PS and to some sort of Thermaltake copper HSF, any recommendations? I can also increase the multiplier up to 12.5, should I?

Is your cpu unlocked? Palominos came locked so if you haven't done anything to it you won't be able to change the multiplier.

I'm not familiar with that board but if it has a pci/agp lock (I didn't think that it did as I think that's a fairly old chipset) like L337 said then go ahead and raise the fsb a bit at a time to see how high you can take it. Depending on the stepping I would guess that that CPU could do around 1.7GHz or so which would give you an fsb of about 150. If that board supports FSB333 chips then that should be okay if the pci/agp is locked, otherwise it might give you trouble.

I would also make sure that your memory is running in sync with the fsb while you're trying the overclock, just to make sure that your PC2700 doesn't limit you (again I'm not familiar with the board but usually you'll overclock the memory bus as well when you change the fsb, even if it says it's locked at 333 or whatever it was on).

Back