• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet One 1200 Barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

I just got all the components for my first wc setup and I'm using a Quiet One 1200. The problem is it comes 1/2" MPT for the inlet and outlet. I need a female to barb adapter to fit it but can't find MPT anywhere. All I see is NPT. Frankly the whole MPT,NPT,FNPT etc...thing confuses me. So if someone could clear it up for me that would be helpful. I tried searching for "MPT", "NPT", even "threads" but couldn't come up with anything. Thanks again.

I have the same pump. They make barbs with the female threading and thats what you need. Check out home depot or lowes or any good hardware store for them. The brass ones are fairly easy to find, but the plastic ones are a pain. Try looking in the gardening department for the plastic ones.

I ended up having to go with the brass one because I live in the middle of nowhere. If you have to as well, be careful when you tighten them down because if you try taking the barb off after you tighten it down you run a risk of cracking the neck on the pump.( thats experience talking) I ended up using 2-ton clear epoxy to seal my barbs to the pump. It looks better than JB Weld and it isnt coming off. ;)

Yeah I got the brass ones from Home Depot but I was afraid to tighten them too much so it leaked. I even used some teflon goop. The package says they're FIP but the pump is MPT so would NPT fit if the FIP does?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260250

Look at the barbs on my 1200. They are from Lowes in the plumbing/irrigation department. The outlet barb required 4-5 wraps of teflon tape to seal up. They do look huge, but are 3/8" ID inside which is good, most plastic barbs are a smaller ID than that. I've got a picture or 2 of the pump and barbs that is much better resolution if you want to see better. PM me an email addy and I'll email it to you.

Thanks gungeek, I'm gonna go to Lowes tomorrow and try those. I just need something plastic so if it gets really bad I can just glue the damn things on there to seal it. BigSmokey, were your adapters brass or plastic?

BigSmokey said:
I just cacked my quiet one today. Was barely hand tight and still leaked so I went around one more time....snap.

Ahh, the old 'just one more turn' syndrome. :D I caught that too. ;) It was the outlet on mine. It cracked about half way around. I thread taped it good, tightened it down as much as I could, then clear epoxied the heck out of it. You can hardly see it and its definately leak proof. Only problem is that its shiny and makes me think its leaking every time I look at the darn thing.:p

I need a female to barb adapter to fit it but can't find MPT anywhere. All I see is NPT. Frankly the whole MPT,NPT,FNPT etc...thing confuses me.

NPT - National Pipe Tapered
FNPT/FPT - Female NPT/Female Pipe Tapered (same thing)
MNPT/MPT - Male NPT/Male Pipe Tapered (same thing)
IPT - Iron Pipe Thread
FIP - Female Iron Pipe
MIP - Male Iron Pipe

Here's a table with lots more. But more important, it tells you the abbreviations for the compatible system.

http://www.dent-mfg.com/threadsizes.htm

The pumps we use for water cooling are nearly always National Pipe Tapered. Only the fittings with the first three abbreviations above should be used.

My thread was PVC, but it wasnt exacly what you might think.

I was connecting my T to the pump. I got a 3/4 T and put 3/4 barbs on 2 sides and a 1/2 bushing on the other. I was connecting the bushing to the pump.

I dont have much room in my case and this was to try and make some more room. Right now Im running with a resivior since my intake is broken.

I might just switch to an Eheim, but Im not sure.

I use brass barbs...although mine are modded as I cut off the original barbs and soldered on Push-On barbs so I don't need clamps. I used liquid teflon instead of tape. Brushed quite a bit on, screw on hand tight then go a 1/4 turn with wrench and let sit 24hrs for total cure of teflon. Now I did seal up my pump....as of right now it's truly silent. I believe it's because there is no freakin' airbubbles!!!Yeah!!!Finally!!!

Big Smokey - how does loud is it in the res? are your temps the same?

Oh yeah!

if you have a 3/8" npt tap you can tap the insides of the inlet and outlet. I did it with my other 1200 for the outlet...gonna try using it in a aquarium/res set up I'm making.

VballCoach said:
Oh yeah!

if you have a 3/8" npt tap you can tap the insides of the inlet and outlet. I did it with my other 1200 for the outlet...gonna try using it in a aquarium/res set up I'm making.

0% comprehension on that. Whats a tap?

Today I fixed the barb. I dremmeled the inside of the inlet a little because its tapered down pretty small. I didnt do too much because I want it to be very sturdy still but I dremmeled it flat about 1/4 inch into the inlet. Then I dremmeld out the inside of the threads on a 1/2-3/4 bushing. The threads remain on the outside which is then connected to a 3/4 barb. I epoxied this ont the intake piece.

Basically, the intake is now wider than it was before and has a permanent 3/4 barb on it.

I much prefer the 3/4 barbs. I for a 2 degree drop from 1/2 fitting to 3/4 fittings.

My pump is more quite in the res than it ever was inline, but I was getting trapped air in the pump when I had it inline. That was what started this whole thing. Its silent except for when it takes in some air occasionally (the res is too small for the pump really, but its fine for a temp fix).

Back