• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC- what to try next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

I have read several OC suggestions from this board and have so far achieved the following: (btw this is my first OC)

System Specs:

Mobo: P4C800-E Deluxe, Bios 1014
Ram: 2x512 Mushkin level 2 PC3500
CPU: 2.4C MO
VC: Radeon 9800 Pro 128
SC: Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
Cooling: SP94, 92mm Vantec Tornado (2800rpm), AS5, Vantec Fan Controller
PS: Antec True Control 550

Bios settings:

FSB: 280 @ 3.38
Ram timings: 2-3-2-5
Core: 1.6 volts
DRAM frequency: 320 (5:4)
USB legacy: disabled
Temps: 41C load, Idle 31-35C
AGP/PCI: 66.66/33.33
DDR voltage: 2.85

I ran the Sandra burn test through 10 loops with no errors but I have not ran Prime95 yet.

I cannot post or load XP if I raise the FSB past 280, even if I increase cpu voltage.

My Question is: What should I try next?.....remember I'm new to overclocking. I'm happy with 3.38, but I would like to go higher.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
5:4 divider is fine, but you will probably need to do the vdimm mod like grandpa dan mentioned. Have you tried to loosen the timings on the RAM? If not, try 2.5-4-4-8. That might help you get past 280.

I must say, you're doing pretty well on your overclock already - if you push it any further, you'll only increase your risk of SNDS (killing your CPU - Northwoods don't just die of heat), and if you end up buying two processors instead of one, the whole money-saving thing about overclocking ratehr goes out of the window...

jamespetts said:
I must say, you're doing pretty well on your overclock already - if you push it any further, you'll only increase your risk of SNDS (killing your CPU - Northwoods don't just die of heat), and if you end up buying two processors instead of one, the whole money-saving thing about overclocking ratehr goes out of the window...

Yea, I understand your point, but my voltage and temps are both low. What else will kill the chip?

Also, I keep failing prime on the first or second test, yet Sandra runs fine. 3 minutes is the longest its ever tested prime95 without a hardware failure. It reports a fatal rounding error. "reports 0.5 should be less than 0.4"

What is more accurate Sandra or Prime95?

What setting do you guys use for prime95 and Sandra04?

Would adjusting the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails on the true control improve my OC?

quote:
Originally posted by jamespetts

Yea, I understand your point, but my voltage and temps are both low. What else will kill the chip?

Nothing really, you are correct. I don't know what he's looking at. My guess right now is the ram is the problem. It's running at 224 without enough voltage(it's rated for 217). Try your timings at 2-3-2-6. It's pointless running prime or sandra or whatever stress test you like until memtest86 is passing clean. Then you know that the ram is not the trouble maker.

Don't screw with your voltage rails. You want output do the volt mod. I've got 3.2v to the ram...well check my sig.

Back